free website stats program Front airride | Harley Davidson Forums

Front airride

Roadking-1960

Coming winter i'am planning to install a front airride on my 2004 RK. Can anyone explain to me how this works?. Seems to me that a air-tight piston is placed on the spring ,which is pressed down by air-pressure.
If this is so, why has the piston a threaded hole at the bottom,and a small hole in the upper side.
I, ve been searching the internet for details,but I can't find anything that explains the way it works.

Thanks for any reply.airride pistons.jpg

What is the name of those? Who sells them? My '96 had front air, but nothing like that.
They may slip into the top of the tube and the threaded hole is for a schrader valve.
tourbox

PS. The schradervalve you mentioned is mounted in the forkcaps. This or airhose couplings if you use a compressor to raise pressure on the fork.

regards

In looking at the pics on their web it appears the threaded end is down towards the spring. The flat end up for, with small hole, up towards the fork cap. I have no idea as to why the one end is threaded. Stock set up is not threaded there. there is a piece p/n 45838-77 that screws into the tube to keep the large spring and other parts in the tube. The top of that is a female thread that the top fork bolt, p/n 45419-80 screws into.
If you have a manual it will show you. Got me.
tourbox

thx,
I have a manual,and it shows exactly what you mentioned. My previous fatboy had the same setup.
Gonna order the parts soon anyway.

thx again Ad

All Showa forks can be made air ride with a schrader valve in each cap, old school ;)

Back