free website stats program Fritz 1218. Ride a 2005 Softail Deluxe | Harley Davidson Forums

Fritz 1218. Ride a 2005 Softail Deluxe

Fritz1218

I've been riding since age 14 and almost all my bikes have been European Bikes. But at age 76 I bought my 1st HD. It's a ST Deluxe. I've got 1 question about kickstand (jiffy stand). When putting KS down I have to lean the bike a bit right. Just barely past straight up to lower kickstand. Is that normal with the Deluxe?
Also according to my measurements the bike hasn't been lowered and wondering if it could be adjustment to shocks. Either way it's not a big deal to me but I am curious.

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ.
Leaning a little to the right of center is normal to lower the jiffy stand. I have to do the same on my Ultra Classic.
Congrats on your 1st Harley.

Absolutely normal. Also, ensure that it pushes forward as far as it goes so it locks against the cut-out when weight goes onto the stand.
BUT, whatever you do, don’t drop the thing!
I have an’08 Deluxe (prolly the same size and weight and side stand setup as yours) and as I was manoeuvring it across the downhill slope of my driveway on Boxing Day last year; my left hand grip slid off the bars.Just pulled off! A bit of stress and the glue gave up.
The stand was down, but the forward motion of the bike made it fold back and the bike went down and rested on the left footboard.
When I lifted it back up I did significant damage to my lower back- such that I still can’t walk properly. Or ride a bike at all.

So be careful and deliberate when you use the stand. When sitting on the bike, I used to ensure the stand was fully forward and I’d keep my foot on it to ensure it couldn’t possibly retract back and hence fail to lock as the bike settled down onto the stand.
This thing weighs 100 odd kgs more than my next heaviest bike so I’ve always been wary of it’s mass.
With good reason.

Welcome from Spokane Washington.
Sorry to hear of the back problem biscuit, if it's any benefit google how to lift your tipped over bike.
I watched it and it helped me when I tipped over my 13 loaded down Limited, adrenalin also played a major role in up righting it.

Back