free website stats program Friction Zone | Harley Davidson Forums

Friction Zone

Couch702

So I’m new to Harleys but I’ve ridden a few bikes.
My new to me bike a 2011 Road Glide has a very touchy friction zone. As soon as it engages and wants to pull it also is on the verge of stalling?
Any suggestions to remedy this.
Thanks

I've driven manual shift cars for 20+ years, and ridden other bikes, so I know the feeling of a clutch engagement. This is the only one that acts this way. Its not stalling, because I give it throttle, but I'm sure it shouldn't want to die as soon as it engages the motor.

How far is the clutch lever from the hand grip before the load gets put on the engine? 1/2 inch, 1 inch?
Hydraulic clutch may be why it feels different as well as a different make of bike.
What is the mileage on the bike? I have close to 17,000 on mine and it did feel different from the 2013 LTD I had before.
Do you have a friend with a similar bike to see if they a a similar feel?

How far is the clutch lever from the hand grip before the load gets put on the engine? 1/2 inch, 1 inch?
Hydraulic clutch may be why it feels different as well as a different make of bike.
What is the mileage on the bike? I have close to 17,000 on mine and it did feel different from the 2013 LTD I had before.
Do you have a friend with a similar bike to see if they a a similar feel?

I haven't measured the distance the lever is, I will try to tomorrow.
I've ridden other Road Glides and they didn't bog down like mine wants to.
Its like the rpm's drop so low it wants to die.
It really sucks trying to do slow speed maneuvers when im just working the friction zone. The bike doesn't want to move without significant throttle input which increases the speed and makes the slow speed maneuvers difficult.

It sounds to me like the clutch is out of adjustment, its a fairly simple procedure, see if you can find a service manual or owners manual, I believe both will have an adjustment procedure.
Go look under transmission, clutch section on the home page, there is a procedure there

I wonder if someone changed the sprocket set or wheel pulley. Is this how the bike has been since you bought it? Do you know the previous owner of the bike?

I wonder if someone changed the sprocket set or wheel pulley. Is this how the bike has been since you bought it? Do you know the previous owner of the bike?

Yea been this way since I got it. I've only had it a week. Didn't really bother me at first because going from a stop light or something I just gassed it and went, but I was creeping in traffic and it sucked. I went to a parking lot to work on slow speed turns and it really stood out there.

Back