free website stats program Found a blemish | Harley Davidson Forums

Found a blemish

PAcanis

Account Removed
Not on me, the bike (lol).
I looked over the bike at the dealer's at his suggestion Friday when I bought it... several times. I found a couple marks on the chrome that buffed right out. He had me sign a paper saying the bike was received in good condition. Well yesterday in the bright sunlight as I was detailing it after a ride I found a speck on the gas tank that looks like the company painted over a big speck of dirt :( And of course now that I know where it is it's standing out pretty good. Do you think I have any recourse? What would they do anyway, take off my tank and send it back for a repaint? Then I'd be without a bike for how long..... It's that two-tone rootbeer metalflake, too. And I don't know how far painting has come, but metal flake used to be hard to match without redoing everything.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

how bad does it bug you?i'm sure harley would fix it if you complained
i will say this though after you ride it a few seasons theres gonna be a few small scratchs here and there and you will have no idea how they got there!

Bring it to the attention of the dealer. If they see that it is in the paint rather than something that could have happened after the signing of the paper, if they are a decent dealer, they will probably buff it out after a bit of wet sanding to remove the spot.
I've never heard of that paper you signed before.

I had to sign a release too, glider. I bought my bike in Feb. and didn't pick it up till late march. They stored it at the dealership for me. I just says that you are accepting the bike cosmetically "as-is" and that you inspected it before you signed. Just covering their behinds.

Very interesting that it is a new bike and not exposed to the outside elements. There's many imperfections that would show up after a few days and signing that paper would probably negate their responsibility to do anything about them. Take for example a finish that is behind or under some other part that isn't obvious to the eye at that time until it starts to peel off.
I would add to the paper that all "obvious areas" are acceptable, then sign it otherwise you may be signing your future problem away as well.

They use enough clear on them,especially the tanks,that as Glider said,a light wet sand and then a buff.Take it to the dealer if they have any type of customer satisfaction policy they will do it for you,if not then go to a different dealer.If you choose to do it yourself you can ,but take it easy with the buffing a lot of people that have never used buffing compounds get overzelous and burn the paint.Then you truly will have a problem!

I'll probably ride over there tomorrow and see what they say. I was thinking today, even with that paper, it's obvious this is a factory defect. I certainly didn't take it home and paint over a dirt speck. It's not like a scratch or dent.
If anything, I'll have him fix it, but how does one know if it's just in the clear or was on the metal when the tank was painted? I'd hate for it to be made worse. Some guys were checking out my new ride today and didn't notice it...
Hah, what I'd really like is some kind of kickback NOT to have them have to fix it. Like a "Here's a $500 giftcard to drop it". (lol)

I would have them fix it to your satisfaction and to get an invoice for it. That way if it is under the paint and it peals next year your covered. I have a ding in the rocker cover on the right side, rear head. This is chromed over and was noted on the PDI but no one told or show'd me. I brought it to the attention of the serv. manager and now 1 is on order. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, I'm sure they will work with you, but again have them fix it and give you an invoice that states the repair and why it was done

Cheer up...after you drop it the first couple of times, you won't even notice the tiny specs.:D

My old bike had a nasty paint chip on the top of the gas tank, and it was just beginning to peel. I knew I had to do something or the peel would spread, so I stuck one of those fake bullet holes on it. That was 5-6 years ago, and the bullet hole now looks better than the rest of the tank! Oh, well....

And I get a lot of positive comments on the bullet hole, believe it or not.

Back