free website stats program Forward Controls - 07 FXDC | Harley Davidson Forums

Forward Controls - 07 FXDC

J

jimharvey1

Has anyone installed a forward control kit on their Dyna? I'm seriously considering it on my 07 FXDC. Pros & cons? Installation tips? What special tools am I going to need? I was looking at the Harley OEM kit which includes the plug for the mid-control hole in the outer primary. Might just save a few extra pennies up and throw a new chrome inner cover on as well seeing I gotta pull the grey one off to pull the shifter shaft out and change the lever on the tranny. Any thoughts? I'm about 6' 0".:dknow

:FLORIDA

Thanks, & Merry CHRISTmas.

Jim

I am 6'2" and installed forwards on my 06 FXDI. I love them. They are a lot more comfortable for me.

I installed the Harley forwards without pulling the primary covers. You can use a hacksaw blade to cut the shifter shaft accessing in the space between the primary and tranny cases. Took me less than an hour to do the complete install.

AF8547D118EA4A5EA297D3747E187974.jpg

Hmmm...hacksaw blade with a wrench taped to it and a chrome plated carriage bolt...maybe even with a bolt head cover on it...and that would save even having to pull the outer cover! I like that. I also like the idea of the short-throw shifter. (Although finding neutral is sometimes a pain in the derrierre now, I can't imagine with a shorter throw)

Any preference between the OEM Kit and the billet sets available from Küryakyn and others?

Saw a pic of that bike in the previous thread. SWEET! Why would you want to change the tin on that beautiful mosheen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments. The Harley forwards were the only ones I looked at.

The tin change started out as just wanting to get the tank painted to get rid of the decals. Turned out it was going to cost a lot more than I planned on, so I decided to do the tins.

OK so here was my problem. Being of the vertically chalenged (5'4") I was unsure of putting forwards on my 2008 Superglide, not to mention the cost of having the dealer install them at a rate of 70 bucks an hour for 5 hours. None the less I decided to purchase the controls and have the dealer install them later, kind of a two stage process. Of course like any kid with a new toy when I got home I opened the package and started playing and reading. This is when I discovered they gave me the wrong kit. They gave me the forwards for a 2003-06. Same kit but with a cap to cover the old shift shaft. Needless to say I started installing the kit on my 08 Dyna and I kid you not, 35 minutes later I was test riding my bike with forwards installed. looks great works great and the 03-06 kit was 50 bucks cheaper than the 08 kit. Because of my shortness I added a mustang seat with backrest for ease of reach.

yea this can be done ( installed with out removing the primary), i was looking at one of the street bobs the other day, as my nieghbor wants me to put forwards on his 07, i will be making a part to replace the missing part out of the 05 and under kit. back then they just had you use a piece of metal to tie the original shift lever to the motor. i'll be making a piece to tie it to the rear shifter lever( with hardware) . this will make things alot easier , and it won't restrict you from ever putting the mid controls back on ( you know in case you sell , you can remove them to put on the new bike):D

... and it won't restrict you from ever putting the mid controls back on ( you know in case you sell , you can remove them to put on the new bike):D

Yeah, I thought of that when I envisioned hacking away at the shifter shaft. "What if I decide I don't like the front controls...I wonder how much that little ole shaft costs to replace?" hmmmm... No doubt, it ain't cheap!

I think I may go with pulling the inner primary off. That would give me a good reason to replace it with a chrome one at the same time. :reyes

I had a weilder weild that shaft for me when i broke it, /long story/ anyway he was able to weild the shft back for me without anyone the wiser, i really had no choice at the time i didnt have the money at the time for forward controls or to have the primary removed to put a new shaft on. the weild only cost 20.00

sounds like a good excuse, jim harvey1....but yea the only reason(s) i want to do this is so you can put it back to stock, and i really dont want to take the primary off in my nieghbors yard....no air tools there....hahaha:small3d017:

Back