free website stats program Former Back Surgery Riders? | Harley Davidson Forums

Former Back Surgery Riders?

icehead

I just recently had major back surgery the past week. I was just wondering if any of you have had a back surgery and had to switch bikes to continue riding or were you up and running several months post op. thanks

I've had 2 of them and recovery and riding are really up to you; and how much work you've had done on your back. But never let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Especially ride. Some bumps do jar ya and will get your attention even years after. Just keep up with your recommended exersises and easy stretching. I ride a Wideglide and no problems...but I had surgeries many years ago but nothing except horseback riding stopped me. Be patient with yourself...but never lift a downed bike alone if you can help it. Ride on soon! You're probably gonna feel better than ever before you know it!

I actually didn't start riding until about a year after having back surgery, so I can't really compare before and after. I do use a rider backrest on longer jaunts, and have learned the value of keeping up with stretching and exercising. As long as you feel comfortable on your bike and seat, go for it. If it doesn't feel comfortable, you might start with a different seat.

Find the bike that fits you comfortably and you should be just fine. I've been fighting lumbar back problems for half my life. Had lots of work done to my back. Riding a bike that fits me actually makes my back better. If I get on a bike that's not right for me I'll know it's a problem within a minute or two.

The biggest thing I have to watch out for is to make sure that I'm actually leaned just a touch forward of sitting straight up. Straight up is OK. If I get on a bike that has me leaning back of straight up I'll be having back problems for a week after that.

I've only ridden one Harley that hurt me. That was a Heritage Deluxe I rode at a demo day. Every other Harley seems to work just fine. If I don't ride for a couple weeks I start hurting. Two days riding and my back will be better again. Makes the winter pretty tough to handle.

I haven't had surgery (YET- fingers crossed), but do have 2 ruptured disks in my lower back. I SWEAR by my backrest, and a really good-quality, comfortable seat (Mustang in my case). The backrest is a MUST for me, and I would highly recommend one.

Be safe out there and take care!

I was able to ride again about 5 months after back surgery (L4-5 laminectomy). I do not know if I "had to switch bikes" but the surgery made for a GREAT EXCUSE to change from a Sportster to a FXR. Now, sixteen years later, I am riding a 98 Softail and an 01 Roadking without problems.

Wishing the best for you!

My wife had spinal fusion at the L4/L5 with a metal brace installed to support the spine with almatures to allow her to bend/flex etc. She's been riding for three years now and does overnight trips on her Sportster. We concentrated on making sure that the bike fits her by installing a Mustang seat with the back support and buckhorn handlebars so she's not stretched out. This seems to work really well for her.

take it easy long after your feeling 100% , I had L 4-5 laminectomy and saw alot of repeat patients at check-up who over did it too soon. That said I am better now than before my injury occurred. Ride an ultra, cant do dishes though, holding arms out will hurt!

Both my wife and I have had fussions at L5 S1. Mine over 10 years ago and hers about 4. It took about a year to get back to doing what we used to do. I am good for a 600 mile day with no problem. It just takes time. And do what your "Physical Terrorist" tells you to do.

Hey 24 years of Army Airborne status finally blew out the back, L5-S1 Disckectomy in 94. Started riding in 06 and re-injured my back in 07 (3 rutured disks, 2 torn disks, and fractured T-10). Put 8K miles on a 883 Custom now on an Ultra.

Best advice, keep the wieght down, stay in shape, especially your core muscles and abs - and do the silly exercises that the PT tells you to.

Haven't had any problems riding, my wifes Saturn L300 hurts more.

Back