free website stats program fork tubes | Harley Davidson Forums

fork tubes

I'm looking online for replacement fork tubes for my 85 FXR. I notice some are advertised as being 'chrome' and others as being 'hard chrome.' Obviously, the 'hard chrome' tubes have a better chroming than the 'chrome' tubes.
The question is: when bikes come out of the factory are they fitted with chrome tubes or with hard chrome tubes?
Thanks.
Ron Arlington, VA

You didn't say why you are replacing the tubes, so I am assuming they are damaged in some way. If that is correct, I highly recommend that you replace them with HD parts. I think you will find that the OE parts will be very competitively priced and the quality of the chrome is second to none for durability. If you are looking for "show" chrome, I have no advice. Just be aware that the shinier chrome is softer and will scratch easier.

There is a lot of difference between "hard chrome" and regular chrome plating. Hard chrome is not as highly polished or shiny a surface. Unfortunately in the motorcycle market, the marketing/advertising departments have taken liberties with the accuracy of descriptions. HD, or a well established brand of tube would be the safest way to go. Yes, HD tubes are made in Japan
(Showa), but to quality standards.

I always thought that all chrome fork stanchions were hard chromed to withstand the action of the seals as normal chrome would wear much quicker

Brian

I have the stock tubes off my '05 Heritage I took off at 20k - in perfect shape, with bushings, springs, and caps. I have them for sale, was asking $100, if they'll fit yours.
I went with longer tubes for ground clearance.

I always thought that all chrome fork stanchions were hard chromed to withstand the action of the seals as normal chrome would wear much quicker

Brian

You are correct Brian. Regular nickel plating would wear and groove in a few thousand miles

hi
I have a 2013 street bob with black forks 12 months old 1700 miles on clock. The black finish has started to peel. Its going in to the dealer to have new forks put on next week have see how long they last :(

Back