free website stats program fork seals | Harley Davidson Forums

fork seals

barnone

My seals are leaking 04 883 what's everyone's choice of seals and how hard are they to put in. Any advice would be appreciated. Ride safe ride hard. Thanks
WAP.gif

I did the seals on my FXR this past winter. Replacement kit was from drag specialties and purchased through J&P. The kit had everything needed for complete fork rebuild.If you don't have a factory manual, you should get one. Only problem I ran into was with the removal of one of the damper rods.I used air impact but the rod was spinning inside the slider. Stuck a broom handle in there to hold the damper rod while using impact on bolt. Worked great. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about if you encounter that problem. Otherwise it's a fairly easy task. You will probably find more info in the self help section.

If you leave the top cap on, which creates pressure on the spring, the bottom screw wil come out with the impact. No Broom handle needed.
tourbox

I did mine like Tourbox said. A Long allen wrench socket and impact will get the job done. It is metric but cant remember what size.

Thanks I was wondering weather to do it my self or take it some where. Think ill try it myself. Anyone know where to get a manual
WAP.gif

Older ones were 6mm. However I did a 2010 Dyna for a friend and it was a 12mm. Had to buy a long L shape Allen. Sawed it off and put it in a 12mm 6pt. socket for the impact. Now have it for future use.
tourbox

Back