free website stats program Fork Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork Removal

MBHD93

'93 FXDL. Need to replace seals. Pulled off the forks, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how the cover, under which lays the dust seal, clip oil seal etc, comes off. The cover has a notch in it, which I have pryed, pounded and prayed to, and nothing is moving. What am I missing?

thanks

'93 FXDL. Need to replace seals. Pulled off the forks, but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how the cover, under which lays the dust seal, clip oil seal etc, comes off. The cover has a notch in it, which I have pryed, pounded and prayed to, and nothing is moving. What am I missing?

thanks

I have a '92 FXD. When I replaced the seals, I had to use a good bit of PB blaster in the slot, and then used a strap wrench to break the cover loose from the lower tube, Patience. Once that happened, a screwdriver in the slot popped it off. You may be surprised how crudded up things are under the cover. I was! I just looked in my service manual, and it simply says "remove cover". HA!

Breeze3at has got you covered. It is just pressed in there, but gets pretty "permanent" after a while. Just take you time and once you get a bit of a crack started, work you way around in a circle.

The other method if you are gonna disassemble anyway, is to make sure the fluid is drained and the cap is off the tube and the spring removed. Remove the securing bolt from the bottom of the slider with an air gun or electric drill and bit. Then carefully chuck up the slider, push the tube in, then quickly and violently yank it out. May take a few tries, but should pull all the guts loose.

TQ

Thanks for the help. I finally got it. The securing bolt at the bottom was a whole different can of worms. That thing was on so tigiht the hex head spun in the hole when force was applied. I had to drill down the hole a little more and beat in an oversized hex head and then put a small impact wrench on it. It finally came out.

Thanks again for the help.

Back