free website stats program Fork Oil change and Progressive Springs | Harley Davidson Forums

Fork Oil change and Progressive Springs

cmvsm

I get my J&S jack this week...:) I have a couple of things on my list, one of which is to change out the fork oil, as I get kind of an odd ride when taking a rough corner. Thought this might help a bit. I also thought I might as well change the springs out to Progressive while I'm in there. Have almost 28K miles.

Couple of questions. What is the size of socket that I will need...is it 35mm? I've heard a couple of different sizes and wanted to make sure I order the right size. Also, according to the service manual, changing the fork oil is as simple as elevating the bike, popping off the caps, draining the oil, pumping a few times, continue to drain the oil, replace with new oil, and reinstall the caps. Is replacing the springs as simple as removing the old spring and replacing with the new one once the caps are off, or is it more involved? My service manual covers removal of the forks, but not the springs specifically.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

To be sure you get the correct size of socket just measure across the flats of the fork top cap as that is what the socket size fits
i have never stripped Harley forks but every other set of forks i have done once the top cap is off the spring is just pulled out there may be some pressure from the spring when the front wheel is off the ground so be very careful when removing the top cap as it may fly round your workshop

Brian

I get kind of an odd ride when taking a rough corner.

Odd ride as in....?

Don't know how much different your legs are to my FXDL but it was pretty easy to change the fork oil. Be sure to measure what you take out (oz) and let them drain upside down for a while.

The springs come right out through the top. Crack the top gland nuts while the stems are still pinched in the triple trees, then remove the legs. Lube the threads on the triple tree pinch bolts before you torque them to spec.

You are going to really like your J&S jack. It is a nice jack. Jim & Steve are great people.

It's been a long time since I put Progressive springs in my Dyna. But I remember that the springs were wound closer at one end, and that end goes up. Also, the very fine cap threads are easy to mess up. I push down while turning counter clockwise until I feel a little "bump", then start to tighten carefully.

Last edited:
when I changed the springs on my Sportster, the tech and I removed the caps with the forks in place and just changed the springs. Didn't mess with the oil. It took one of us to push the caps down whilst the other one tightened the caps down.

I get my J&S jack this week...:) I have a couple of things on my list, one of which is to change out the fork oil, as I get kind of an odd ride when taking a rough corner. Thought this might help a bit. I also thought I might as well change the springs out to Progressive while I'm in there. Have almost 28K miles.

Couple of questions. What is the size of socket that I will need...is it 35mm? I've heard a couple of different sizes and wanted to make sure I order the right size. Also, according to the service manual, changing the fork oil is as simple as elevating the bike, popping off the caps, draining the oil, pumping a few times, continue to drain the oil, replace with new oil, and reinstall the caps. Is replacing the springs as simple as removing the old spring and replacing with the new one once the caps are off, or is it more involved? My service manual covers removal of the forks, but not the springs specifically.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

For my '07 Dyna the socket needed is the 1 3/8". Didn't find one to buy and wound up borrowing one from a buddy but would like to have one of my own. (If you find a source, please post.) A 35 mm is very close at 1.378" as compared to 1.375"; might ask the sales person if you can take the socket out to the bike to be sure it fits.

Also have the Progressive front springs but to tell the truth, couldn't tell much difference in the ride from the stock. I had them in my previous two metric bikes, and they did improve the ride, but apparently the HD springs are pretty good.

Doesn't matter which way you install them, per the Progressive instructions, as they compress the same in use. Be careful installing the cap, as others pointed out, as the threads are fine and easy to cross-thread.

FYI, the instructions I received specified a different length spacer than the one supplied. I went with the instructions, cut a new spacer from plastic pipe, took a trip and was disappointed. Replaced with the supplied spacer and all is well. Just be aware of a possible conflict, your bike has different diameter forks, uses different springs, and perhaps a different length spacer.

Good luck,

Silver

As the forks are made by showa then i would expect it to be all metric sizes used so went out to shed and measured mine and i got 34mm however that is on a 92 softail custom
so went to try a socket on it and found i dont have a 34 i have a 32,36,38 ok i supose ill have to go tool shopping again :)

Brian

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. In answer to Hoople's and Smitty's question, when I ride around a corner that might be a little less than smooth, I can almost feel the dampening through the handlebars, whereas riding straight ahead, I don't feel anything. The bike is coming up on 30K, and thought with a fluid and spring replacement, it might help out. Although I do want to try my J&S out that I have coming.

I went to the Progressive site, and their installation videos are very helpful. Looks about like I thought it would be in terms of the labor portion. Says in my service manual that the forks do not need to be removed to change out the fork oil, and the Progressive videos state the same thing with respect to the springs.

I also noticed that Progressive has a fork lowering kit for my bike. Would this noticeably improve the handling?

Back