free website stats program fork bags and wind buffetting | Harley Davidson Forums

fork bags and wind buffetting

hey guys,

I have a question. i have read nearly all the posts about wind buffetting and have learned alot. I have made the angle adjustments to my hd quick detach windshield. this did help my wind problems, although not totally. When cruising on the interstate 65 and up the wind gets pretty loud and starts to bounce my head around some. Bike is a 07 lowrider. i can set the cruise on the bike take my arms and rest them on my legs my hands palm down in front of my knees and it stops all the wind, makes the ride awesome. i am hoping that i could cure this problem without adding too much to the bike. A fork bag is on my order list anyway so i was hoping that someone here had had some success with one. i really don't want to add the lowers to the bike. like to keep it more simple. thanks as always for all your help

Joe

Joe; Have you heard about the "windvest"? I have read posts from happy owners. It's a vest with flaps that rise and block the air. Give it a "google".
I've heard if you hold a forearm across your torso, it gives you a good idea if the windvest will work for you.

Joe: I have the 09 super Glide and have done the windshield lean back W/ the little extenders. I tried the fork bag W/ no improvement! I finally ordered the Memphis shades lowers and Bingo!!!!:D The wind buffeting is about 80% gone.
I didn't want to add the lowers either but the bike was not much fun with my head shaking so bad that my vision was blurred. I now ride and enjoy it.

Good luck Gene

Memphis Shades lowers do get a lot of good marks for reducing buffeting from airflow down low. Probably a good choice for the OP as they are fairly low cost and an easy addiition...!

hey all,
as usual thank you very much for the insight. it sounds like i will be adding the lowers to the bike, at least for the long trips. thanks again.

Joe; Have you heard about the "windvest"? I have read posts from happy owners. It's a vest with flaps that rise and block the air. Give it a "google".
I've heard if you hold a forearm across your torso, it gives you a good idea if the windvest will work for you.

Hey Breeze3; Just a heads up about the vest, It's the "AeroVest" or Jack's Flaps, and, the arm test is the best way to find out if it is right for you. The Windvest is a windshield.

The lowers do deflect the wind, but they deflect it down at the forks and that lets the heat of the engine cook your legs and butt and keeps some of the wind from carrying the engine heat away. The vest doesn't deflect the wind till it gets to your chest, so all the wind that keeps your legs, butt, and engine cool, is still doing that. The key is to keep the buffeting away from your head right? That's what the "AeroVest" does, and it works great. A simple fix for a longtime problem.

i see exactly what you are saying and have heard that from other people about the engines getting hotter also. i have been watching videos of the aerovest this morning and i am liking the looks of it. again i really appreciate all the information that you guys are providing me with.

The lowers do deflect the wind, but they deflect it down at the forks and that lets the heat of the engine cook your legs and butt and keeps some of the wind from carrying the engine heat away. The vest doesn't deflect the wind till it gets to your chest, so all the wind that keeps your legs, butt, and engine cool, is still doing that. The key is to keep the buffeting away from your head right? That's what the "AeroVest" does, and it works great. A simple fix for a longtime problem.

Putting the fork bag below the headlamp on my '08 Lowrider did the trick for me. I have the smaller sport windscreen and it works very good. I've read other posts that the smaller windscreen didn't work out but I've had good luck with that combo.

Back