free website stats program Forcewinder and the Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Forcewinder and the Dyna

dyna94

Banned
Help.... I'm about to give up here. I have a 94 Dyna Wideglide, stock 1340, stock CV carb other than a Yorst (spell check) kit. I have installed a Forcewinder with the correct mounting plate and it all went together fine. I went through the carb and replaced the accelerator pump, slide, diaphragm, and moved the clip setting and the needle down one notch as the dealer said they use shims on stock needles. I re-jetted both jets to one size larger over stock as was suggested. I adjusted the air flow needle as was suggested. Now here is the kicker. When I ride it, it seems to run fine, and I can actually tell the difference that the forcewinder made. I put my camping gear on (t-bag&round trunk, saddle bags), still runs fine. I add my ole lady and the beast goes nuts, back fires through the pipes no matter how I adjust the air flow. Acts like it is running out of gas. I come up to a stop sign and it dies. I let the ole lady off and it runs fine again. Even without the gear, when she sits it, it doesn't want to run, acts all the time like it is not getting enough gas. This really is no joke here. I missed the redwood run over this. I even went so far as to take all the forcewinder stuff off go back to my old carb and setting, jets etc and same thing. I am going to drain the tank yet once again and pull the pet cock and see if the it's clogged. Maybe should of thought this earlier. But any other suggestions someone might have would be appreciated. All the ones about a new ole lady I have already got from my bros.

From what you posted, it sounds as if the additional weight on the rear of the bike is possibly causing some water in the tank to flow to the rear by the outlet and cause you a problem.

Remove and drain the tank into a clean bucket and let it settle for a while to see if you get a puddle in the bottom of the bucket that will tell the story.

And after doing what Glider says, if you still have a problem, I would suspect that you have an electrical short that shows up when she gets on due to her additional load on the bike moving things to that configuration where the short shows up. (BTW - this is not a comment on her. Any additional load could do it!!).

Check the plug wires from the coil to the plugs where the wires come out of the coil cover. I had the cover chew through the insulation on one of the wires, and it only showed up intermitently. Was hard to find until it bit me one day.

If those are fine, then start hunting for a short that shows up when the bike is compressed like it is when fully loaded.

TQ

I have new wires on the bike but will check them anyway.

One other thing if I want more fuel to enter float bowl, which direction do I adjust the yorst needle valve?

Last edited by a moderator:
One other thing if I want more fuel to enter float bowl, which direction do I adjust the yorst needle valve?
If you are referring to the idle mixture screw, CCW will increase fuel flow but it does not work to increase fuel into the float bowl, it richens the mixture.

Please clarify which part you are referring to.

Or possibly a running light wire under the rear fender that is shorting to ground from the extra weight and reduced clearance. That could load the electrical system without blowing a fuse and it would cause backfiring when it brushed open and closed..

Let us know what it turns out to be.

I am referring to the neddle valve that fits down the slide. I have installed a Yorst (sp) kit with a power tube and adjustable needle that has a spring clip retainer that allows one to lengthen or shorten the needle vlave. I have seen somewhere that some do not like the power tube for my application of the Forcewinder as it makes tunign difficult, so I will be removing that as well to see if it helps or not.

Good call and one I should of thought of. I put new wires on the bike, but that don't mean they're good. I will be putting my old ones back on just to see, never had any problem with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
with all you have done you might need to add a high flow fuel valve such as a pingle, you may be starving it for fuel. Also check for shorts in wires (especially towards rear of bike where the weight is being placed). you may also be pinching a fuel line somewhere.

OK call me a dummy, should of gone there a long time ago. I took my petcock out and low and behold there were corn flake sized pieces of tank liner floating around. The petcock screen was all but blocked with this stuff. Now I'm looking at cleaning and re-lining the tank.

Glad you located the problem...I was about to say you bought the "no-rider" option for your Forcewinder...;)

Back