fluid change

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by Richard Alexander, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Richard Alexander

Richard Alexander New Member

doing my first fluid change on "new to me " 1998 FXDS. The manual covers from 91-98. The 98 lube maintenance is a supplement chapter of its own in the back of the book. So there are some differences.
    My problem is the oil capacities chart in the manual calls out transmission 1991-94 = 16 OZ. I can not find any reference to later years in the manual and 16 oz just seems like a small amount not to mention it doesn't specify for 95-98

2. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Experienced Member Contributor

Best to Measure what comes out and replace with that amount. If more is needed add until it’s at the proper level.
    I bought a cheap 4 cup measuring cup from the dollar store and it works great.

gator508 and HDDon like this.
  3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Experienced Member

My 1992 FCDC factory service manual calls for aprocx 20-24 oz. in the trans. , and fill the primary to the bottom of the clutch spring (just inside the basket), about 32 oz. I like heavier oil than recommended in the trans (70-120 or more), and HD Formula + in the primary. Of course, there is almost as many opinions of which fluids to use as there are Harleys.