free website stats program Fluid change update at 39k miles | Harley Davidson Forums

Fluid change update at 39k miles

SilverFoXD

Contributor
Below are the results, without editorializing, of my recent fluid changes on my '07 SuperGlide. She is stock, with O.E.M everything mechanical. The only changes were intended to improve comfort or utility. The lovely wife refers to her as the "Harlot".

The oil is Spectro 20W-50 Golden 4. This is a "synthetic petroleum blend" per the label and this is the oil I used in the Harlot since the 5k service. The local price is $7.99/liter and $30.96/four liter. Drained the oil through a cone paint filter, from Lowe's @ 99¢/four, with no deposits of any kind on the filter. The magnetic drain plug was clean and the oil itself was a dark honey color. Also changed the filter, use the HD one exclusively at each oil change.

I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis, which came back favorable. It might be hard to read but the phosphorus reading was 1396 vs 1058 average, and the zinc was 1750 vs 1354 average. The oil had 4,346 miles over four months on it, through the Arizona desert summer, and I did not need to add any oil during this time.

The primary oil had 9,020 miles on it and was the Spectro Primary, cost $7.50/quart. It came out very dark but no debris in the paint filter. The magnetic drain plug had four or five tiny steel whiskers. I looked at the tensioner as best as I could and did not see any discoloration or scrape marks. I adjusted the clutch per instructions on this site.

The transmission had 19,523 miles on the Spectro 75W-140 synthetic GL-5 six speed oil. The drain plug had a small (1/2") glob of brown gunk attached; looked like a water and oil condensate. The fluid itself looked brand new, red and clear, and with no deposits on the filter. The price is $16.11.

The spark plugs had the same mileage as the tranny oil and were change out. The air filter looked OK but was changed out. Blackstone suggested the silicone reading was slightly high, possibly due to a dirty filter, or more likely from a silicone product (sealer?).

Regards. Looks like I'll be keeping her.

Attachments

• Plugs at 40k.JPG
    Plugs at 40k.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Blackstone _0001.jpg
    Blackstone _0001.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 32
SilverFoXD, What kind of spark plugs are they? It looks like there are platinum pads on ground and center electroads.
wilks3

SilverFoXD, What kind of spark plugs are they? It looks like there are platinum pads on ground and center electroads.
wilks3

Wilks, a very good question. Didn't realize this until you asked.

Looked at the plugs and dug out the receipts. The plugs were GR12PP, part number 32364-04 at $7.95 each. The receipt shows them as "dbl plat". Assume the PP stands for Platinum Plug

The originals and the current ones are GR12, part number 32362-04 at $4.46 each. The externals seem the same but the PP electrodes and insulation are very slightly thinner and the PP has the pad you spotted.

Will ask about them on my next trip to the dealer. While it might be my imagination, the mileage now seems slightly lower. I had chalked it up to the gas but now I'm wondering if the plugs make that much difference.

silver, must have been a dealer typo. The plugs are HD double platinum #32364-04 with spark plug number 6R12PP. A 6 can be seen as a G sometimes. Did you notice any difference with these plugs? They look pretty good and clean firing.
wilks3

The only possible suggestion I could make is to switch to the FULL synthetic "Platinum" version of the engine oil. Probably a bit more expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

TQ

The only possible suggestion I could make is to switch to the FULL synthetic "Platinum" version of the engine oil. Probably a bit more expensive, but worth it, IMHO.

TQ

well TQ i must respectfully disagree, he put 4k on this oil in 115dg heat his oil analysis came back good if its not broke don't fix it, he said this engine is stock no mods so i'm thinking it has no oil cooler that would be the only thing i would suggest doing an oil cooler is never a bad idea in my book

silver, must have been a dealer typo. The plugs are HD double platinum #32364-04 with spark plug number 6R12PP. A 6 can be seen as a G sometimes. Did you notice any difference with these plugs? They look pretty good and clean firing.
wilks3

Wish it was a dealer typo, but have to confess I misread the number. I'd like to blame the new bifocals but doubt I'd get away with it.

The service rep at the dealer said they change out plugs at 10k unless told otherwise by the customer, and that the platinum plugs were not really needed in a stock bike like mine. He would go with the 6R12 ones and noted they looked OK after 20k.

Don't see or feel any change from the new plugs but will watch the mileage closer to see if did fall off. No detectible change in acceleration, etc.

The oil cooler is a good idea but so far haven't felt a need. Perhaps I should add one as a precautionary measure.

The Blackstone report showed the flashpoint to be 410℉, with anything above 385℉ acceptable. Is the flashpoint the same as the breakdown temperature? I agree with Holy Diver in that if the semi-synthetic is doing its job what would the advantage be in going to a full synthetic.

Appreciate the comments.

SilverFoXD

When you sent your oil sample off to Blackstone Labs. What did they compare the sample to? Have you sent a sample in before? The next sample you send will tell you the real story about any wear as they can compare it with your first sample.

When you sent your oil sample off to Blackstone Labs. What did they compare the sample to? Have you sent a sample in before? The next sample you send will tell you the real story about any wear as they can compare it with your first sample.

Fossil, Blackstone compared the oil to what they call "Universal Averages". Their quote, "Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 3,800 miles on the oil. You ran this oil 4,346 miles and all wear metals matched up nicely with those averages".

The universal averages are in the far right column; the test results and unit averages appear on the left. Agree, the next test will tell the story about wear as each test result will show on the report. This was the first, will do so again at 60k, 80k, and beyond.

They also list the values under the "Properties" section (on the bottom) and what the values should be for such things as the water percent, fuel percent, and viscosity at 100℃. All were within specifications.

For the record, I mailed the oil to them on a Tuesday and had the email results on Wednesday of the following week. I consider that good service.

Back