free website stats program FLHX Rear Docking Kit - Lessons Learned | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHX Rear Docking Kit - Lessons Learned

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Decided to install the rear docking kit today since it was raining and I was too sick to go to work. Thought I'd pass along a couple things I learned.

First, when I purchased the kit, I told the parts guy I was putting a detachable tour pack on my Street Glide and had everything figured out from the catalog except the antenna relocation kit. I though it was required because the tour pack would interfere with the stock, whip antenna. Told the parts guy I already had a shorty antenna and he said I should be OK then. Surprise - he was wrong! The rear docking bracket on the left side goes right through the opening where the antenna sticks out, so it MUST be moved, no matter how tall or short it is. The kit is for moving it to the tour pack, which I don't want to do since the tour pack won't be on all the time. Looks like I'll be getting an antenna to hide in my fairing.

Second, be very careful when you remove the rear saddlebag support bracket as required by the instructions. The lone screw which holds it on feeds into what's called a "clip nut." It's not welded to the frame and is merely held in place by a clip surrounding the nut until the screw grabs hold and secures everything. Well, I guess I was a bit too rough with the unscrewing and the clip broke so the nut fell to the floor. Spent an hour and a half driving to a dealer to buy another nut for $1.95, then another hour figuring out how to get the thing "clipped" into position without tearing the whole fender apart or removing the rear wheel. Finally got creative and used a combination of wire and long nose pliers - hard to describe what I did but it worked.

Sorry for the long post but I thought this might help at least one person out there!

I would suggest a trip to Orreily's or Auto Zone. I have used a $8.95 ~12" rubber mast AM/FM antenna with acceptable results. I just zip-tie it under the radio in the fairing and plug it in. No fuss, no problems.

You're not the first one to fight those nuts in the fender/exhaust braces! Probably the hardest part of putting on the detachable kit!

Got one of those amplified, rubber, bar shaped antennas today. Spliced it into the red wire on the cigar lighter and zip tied it in a couple places so it won't shake and rattle around. Works splendid so far!

Im looking at doing the tour pack myself so this helps.Sorry for the bad day Dr. but your struggles have helped.

Hey, if I can help one person avoid some of the pitfalls I've managed to find, it's a good day. I've gotten endless good advice about stuff on this forum so it's about time I gave some back!

Back