free website stats program FLHTCU Unstable in hard cornering | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTCU Unstable in hard cornering

bng73

Hey all - my first post so please be gentle.

Was out on a trip this past weekend on my 2013 FLHTCU and had the pleasure of running down Lolo pass at the Montana/Idaho border. For those of you unfamiliar, this is about 140 miles of US12 with amazing sweepers.

Anyway, during "hard" cornering (taking the sweepers between 55-70mph mostly, which were marked anywhere between 35-50mph), the bike tended to get unstable. I'd find the steering going left/right/left/right etc in small motions during countersteering. This would get the whole bike kind of wobbly even though the handlebar motion was minimal. It was pretty unnerving and not something I've felt before, though I don't normally push the bike that hard.

Anyone ever experience this or have any thoughts as to what causes it? Given that it happens in cornering I'm not thinking this is a death wobble scenario. Would appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks
Brian

This is the scenario where many people have encountered "the wobble." Contributing factors include tire pressure, bike loading (passenger, luggage, etc.), suspension setup, and many more.

Do a search on this forum and you'll find plenty of reading to do.

If it continues to happen and bothers you, you might want to consider the addition of a stabilizer like Progressive offers as well as many other companies.

Hey all - my first post so please be gentle.

Was out on a trip this past weekend on my 2013 FLHTCU and had the pleasure of running down Lolo pass at the Montana/Idaho border. For those of you unfamiliar, this is about 140 miles of US12 with amazing sweepers.

Anyway, during "hard" cornering (taking the sweepers between 55-70mph mostly, which were marked anywhere between 35-50mph), the bike tended to get unstable. I'd find the steering going left/right/left/right etc in small motions during countersteering. This would get the whole bike kind of wobbly even though the handlebar motion was minimal. It was pretty unnerving and not something I've felt before, though I don't normally push the bike that hard.

Anyone ever experience this or have any thoughts as to what causes it? Given that it happens in cornering I'm not thinking this is a death wobble scenario. Would appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks
Brian
I guess I'd have a few questions for you.
What are you running for tire pressure? How good are the tires? Were you riding 2 up? Not sure if your bike is equipped with air ride but if so what was the pressure? How much gear (weight) did you have on board? These all can be a factor in how your scoot responds while cornering.

The pre-'09 baggers had reported problems with "rear steer" or the "death wobble". Reports are that the redesign of the frame had corrected that.

On my '03 Ultra, I installed the True-Track "Tracula" kit. Bike felt like it was on a rail after that!!

Here is the link:

True-Track Products

Cheers,

TQ

Normal characteristic especially on the 2008 and before. The 2009 and newer with the stiffer frame exhibits concern less of the time. Remember you have a 900 lb. plus motorcycle and the cornering forces at that speed can and will happen concern. The thing to do is nothing while it is happening. Do not chop throttle, apply brakes, of erratically change lean angle. You will not like the consequences. All of the above posts are great advice to help offset concern. Otherwise you need to be aware and ride cautiously. I have had it happen to me numerous times especially when canyon carving on my 2008 EG........

I guess I'd have a few questions for you.
What are you running for tire pressure? How good are the tires? Were you riding 2 up? Not sure if your bike is equipped with air ride but if so what was the pressure? How much gear (weight) did you have on board? These all can be a factor in how your scoot responds while cornering.
Tire pressure was 35PSI when I started the day, and shock pressure was 45. I weigh about 245lb and had probably 40lb of luggage combined in tour pak and saddlebags. Only thing to note is these pressures were taken early that morning with temps around 35F. By the time I was riding these corners temps were closer to 80F. I expect that would have caused higher pressures but the tires also were hot after 200 miles of riding. Tires are in good condition, dealer said I still have about 3-4k miles remaining.

Tire pressure was 35PSI when I started the day, and shock pressure was 45. I weigh about 245lb and had probably 40lb of luggage combined in tour pak and saddlebags. Only thing to note is these pressures were taken early that morning with temps around 35F. By the time I was riding these corners temps were closer to 80F. I expect that would have caused higher pressures but the tires also were hot after 200 miles of riding. Tires are in good condition, dealer said I still have about 3-4k miles remaining.
I'm sure others will chime in but my thinking, 45 lbs in the shocks is going to really stiffen the suspension and maybe to much for that kind of cornering.

I'm sure others will chime in but my thinking, 45 lbs in the shocks is going to really stiffen the suspension and maybe to much for that kind of cornering.

I run 36 psi front, 41 psi rear, 15 psi shocks. Pressures when riding solo. I have never experience wobble 2 up for I would never think of rounding a corner at that excessive speed with a passenger. My riding buddy, on his Kawasaki has said it is quite the sight when this is happening. My Harley is the first and only bike I have experienced this concern.

I run 36 psi front, 41 psi rear, 15 psi shocks. Pressures when riding solo. I have never experience wobble 2 up for I would never think of rounding a corner at that excessive speed with a passenger. My riding buddy, on his Kawasaki has said it is quite the sight when this is happening. My Harley is the first and only bike I have experienced this concern.
I run 36 front and 40 in the rear. I run 10psi in my shocks and have never experienced the wobble and hope I never do.:nosad

Back