free website stats program FLHTCU 2009 Frame distortion... | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHTCU 2009 Frame distortion...

Hi,

I am really upset!
Last week my dealer diagnosed the reason for my handlebars shaking at low speed (40 to 50 km/h)... The frame of my 2009 Ultra classic was produced twisted...
Their is 10 minimeters distortion...
I'll have to wait for a minimum of 2 to 3 month before riding it again!

If you had the same problem, please let me know,

A desapointed Harley fan,

JC
... Ultra Classic 2009...

Fight them to replace the entire bike instead of a new frame. You shouldn't have to accept a defective frame and then have them gorilla all the parts over to the new frame. It will never be as good as one from the factory with the dealers working on it. Contact your state attorney general and get a new bike.

Discuss this with the dealer first that this is all you will accept then carry through with the AG.

Thanks for your advice Glider,
I really don't know how far I can bust their ... As I am in France... I will contact my lawyer next monday... I thought if my dealer would replace the frame I would have a sort of "hand made" bike...
Hobit,
I received my bike November 4th 2008... My type number is 5HD1FC4179Y613178
My dealer really had a hard time with that... they used another bike to switch weels etc... to end up with laser measurement...
Cheers,
JC

Easy / Hobbit,
Does your front end wobble with your hands on or off the handlebars at low speeds? The reason I ask is on my 09 Ultra, if I release the my grip on the bars at low speeds, it does go into a wobble. I have not tried this at higher speeds, but I noticed it while messin around with my IPod. At around 35 mph I let go of the bars and as it slowed down, it started the wobble. Of course after that happened, I tried it numerous times at 40 MPH as well as lower speeds and it does it on the decel everytime. I have not tried it at highway speeds yet. I assumed it was tire pressure or something as I have not had time to look at anything. I just discovered this on my last ride. If my hands remain on the bars, even slightly, no wobble. Is this the same symptom you are seeing? Glider, what say you on this, are my described conditions the norm? There is no way I will accept a new frame if it is out of whack. I did not buy a 20K+ bike to have a factory bad frame......

Easy / Hobbit,
Does your front end wobble with your hands on or off the handlebars at low speeds? The reason I ask is on my 09 Ultra, if I release the my grip on the bars at low speeds, it does go into a wobble. I have not tried this at higher speeds, but I noticed it while messin around with my IPod. At around 35 mph I let go of the bars and as it slowed down, it started the wobble. Of course after that happened, I tried it numerous times at 40 MPH as well as lower speeds and it does it on the decel everytime. I have not tried it at highway speeds yet. I assumed it was tire pressure or something as I have not had time to look at anything. I just discovered this on my last ride. If my hands remain on the bars, even slightly, no wobble. Is this the same symptom you are seeing? Glider, what say you on this, are my described conditions the norm? There is no way I will accept a new frame if it is out of whack. I did not buy a 20K+ bike to have a factory bad frame......

Hi 09Ultra,
It's exactly my problem (I expressed it in my poor English -sorry I am french... nobody is perfect!)... my dealer tryed to figure out where it was coming from... he balanced the front and back wheels (wasn't done by the way at factory time...) he switched both wheels with another bike... result was the same except that with new wheels the "shaking" starts at a lower speed... finaly he thought about the frame and after having measured (using a Laser...) there is a 10 mm distortion...!!!!!!
It looks we have the same problem...
Let me know what you will do... I may be inspired...
Cheers,

JC

Now, I'm worried, since my 09 Ultra has the wobble, too.

Have you read 09 wobble post?

09 wobble? - Harley Davidson Community

Mine did the wobble on deceleration with hands off the handle bars. My front tire was 3 lbs low, once I adjusted it to 36 lbs, per the book, no more wobble.

Of course that may have just masked the true problem. I wonder what Harley says about it, since it seems to be a common problem.

EASY: I got lucky...it was air pressure for me. Good luck with the MOCO.

Buddybr: You have nothing to worry about as well. The low air pressure was your culprit as was mine. If you had a serious problem, accurate air pressure would not have solved it. It takes very little to effect your ride. I am going to Nitrogen in my tires the first chance I get.

EASY: I got lucky...it was air pressure for me. Good luck with the MOCO.

Buddybr: You have nothing to worry about as well. The low air pressure was your culprit as was mine. If you had a serious problem, accurate air pressure would not have solved it. It takes very little to effect your ride. I am going to Nitrogen in my tires the first chance I get.

Check that the valve core elements are tight. Also, most riders in performance circles pitch the cheap plastic caps and use metal ones w/ O-rings as added insurance against leaks.

Check and make sure the front axel nuts are tight to spec . I had that problem with the last bike I had and couldn't figure out why it had a wobble around 38-40 mph slowing down only. Some times it would catch you off guard if you were riding with one hand and sometimes it got violent. Had this problem for damn near a year and till I checked the axel nuts and tighten them up to spec.

Back