free website stats program FLHR Windshield Height | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHR Windshield Height

Sharky1948

The top edge of the stock windshield on my '09 RK falls right in line with my line of sight in normal cruise. Have others had this situation? Better to go with a shorter one or taller one in your opinion. (If I stretch my head up to see over the edge, it seems to be fine. The slip stream still goes over my head. I think I'd prefer a shorter windshield for aesthetic reasons.)

Thanks!

Same thing on my FLSTCI, the dealer cut it down about an inch and I'm happy with it, they did a good job of cutting it down, look like factory one.

Thanks all! Cutting it down is sure cheaper than a new shield. (And, I do plan to wait until after I get my new Mustang seat.)

I cut my wind shield down as per recommendations on this site and have now found out its 1 inch to short.

The turbulance is very minimul , but if I move my head down 1 inch lower there is little or no turbulance felt on my face.

I thought about this and did not follow thru ,but if I had to do it all over again I would do the following.

Determine how much you want to take off , then only remove half of that.
Take it for a spin at different speeds lowering your head to find the least amount of turbulance.
Take that measurement and make your final cut.

You want to be able to look over the shield. Early morning fog or running into rain, you do not want to be looking into blurrs or water drops. I cut mine down 1 1/2" and it proved out to be perfect on my RK Shrine(factory screen). The down side was that it took the tinted coating off when I removed the tape!!!...I powered off the separation line that was evident with a buffer and then waxed it with polish and it looks good but you can see the difference between where the darker coating was....You look over a wind screen. not thru it.

Have a 2006 RK Classic. I had the same problem. The top came right in my line of vision. Took the shield to a local car glass place, they cut one inch off and only charged me $20. Did a real professional job to and I have only regreted putting up with it for a season before having it done. Good luck! Joe

I found I could look over or through the shield on mine at 5'10". I liked it that way depending on the ride.
We're around the same height so ride it a bit before making any decisions.

Hey Glider...I'm just shy of 6'. I just slouch a lot! :bigsmiley11:

Good advice about only taking off a little at a time. I knew about the measure twice & cut once, but when you measure wrong, ( I was consistent though) it's still wrong. I won't mention a $600 bicycle fork that became a wall decoration, a Christmas tree of sorts, and a modified beer holder.

Back