free website stats program flhr 1996 speedometer issues | Harley Davidson Forums

flhr 1996 speedometer issues

farfons

Hi, i'm new in the forum, i've a problem with my flhr 96 speedometer. It doesn't start from zero but approx from 40 km/h as soon as you turn the key, same issue powering up on the bench out from the bike. The fact that on the bench it shows the issue make me think that isn't a vss issue. Have you experienced a similar problem? Can you suggest me something? thanks

Hi, i'm new in the forum, i've a problem with my flhr 96 speedometer. It doesn't start from zero but approx from 40 km/h as soon as you turn the key, same issue powering up on the bench out from the bike. The fact that on the bench it shows the issue make me think that isn't a vss issue. Have you experienced a similar problem? Can you suggest me something? thanks

Please view video, ensure you are performing bench test in the appropriate manner. This should eliminate any questions you may have through process of elimination. Hope it helps Bud.

i've done the test following the video, unfortunately the signal generator that i bought is not working properly but the issue remains strange. basicly turning the key the speedometer have to stay to zero not jump to 40 km/h. the same separating the speedometer from the bike and powering with a bench power supply

i've done the test following the video, unfortunately the signal generator that i bought is not working properly but the issue remains strange. basicly turning the key the speedometer have to stay to zero not jump to 40 km/h. the same separating the speedometer from the bike and powering with a bench power supply
Ok, so I don't think you're grasping the importance of the square wave signal and how it works.

So, try taking out the speed sensor and thoroughly clean it. Sometimes that will correct the problem.

If cleaning does not help, research how the vss works. Bench testing with a 12v power supply will not work. The signal generator is very important during the testing procedure. Hopefully, this will shed some light on the situation. In short, if the circuit does not produce the signal at the proper frequency, the speedometer will not perform correctly. Sorry if that is not clear enough Boss.... It's tough to clarify without going into an entire electrical tangent about pulse waves and how signals are interpreted by the ecm.

If it's a simple inductive sensor, you can pull it out, leave it connected to circuit. Backprobe connector, wave screw drive back and forth close to sensor. Voltage should change. If it's inductive, it will have only two wires. Hall effect usually have 3 wires and are tested differently.

Back