free website stats program FLHPI wont start | Harley Davidson Forums

FLHPI wont start

glimmerman

Sorry for posting here but I cant get into the correct forum to post. perhaps an admin can move this. 01 FLHPI, magnetti-morelli setup, stage 1. 38k miles +. accelerating onto interstate and going from 4th at 4300 to 5th bike died. dead flat nothing. battery is 7-08-16 and always on tender. bike cranks, nothing. home on flat bed. power on, switch on, loud thump then whine of fuel pump. bike starts. replace fuel pump with new superceded assembly. replace fuse and fuel pump relay. reconnect battery, pump whines and stops, wont start. no fire at plugs, injectors not firing when cranking. where do I go from here. have service manual but this might be outside my realm of expertise. many thanks, kevin

If the pumps runs & then shuts off that is normal,runs for approx. 3 sec. then quits. Pre prime of fuel rail. I would look at your coil & plugs & or plug wires. Check your manual for ohm test of coil. Also check your Crank Positioning Sensor, there should be a test for it in manual also.
tourbox

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Back