free website stats program Flat tire on the road | Harley Davidson Forums

Flat tire on the road

gator508

Experienced Member
Hi Everybody,

I have had 2 bikes now and feel lucky to never have a had a flat while underway. I was wondering what the best fix is. Is fix-a-flat the way to go or are there better products to use. Which ones are a no-no. Thanks!

If you have tubed tires there's not much choice, but to load it up on a trailer and head to the shop.

For non tube tires, I've heard of folks using plugs with great success.......but only to get you home or to the nearest shop. I've also got a friend that puts in the "no flat" stuff (can't remember the name) in his tires, and it has done well for him on 2 occasions.

Bout '72 or '73 was riding a 650 Bonneville with about 15 other bikes from Ft. Bliss up to Ruidoso, NM. Had my wife on the back. Coming outta a 45mph turn, as I'm straightening up my rearend flops over and I get all squirlley flip flopping back and forth. Shut'r down real quick and got over to the side. Finally got my butt pulled off the seat (edit) and seen I had a flat on the rear. Scared the beegeezz outta me. And the wife. Pure luck we stayed up. Pulled the tire, pulled the tube outta the side and patched it with a heat patch. Don't know if they are still used. Haven't seen one in a very long time. This patch you clamped into place, scratched the cover off the 'stuff', I don't know what it was, some kinda sulfer stuff, reminded me of C4, lit it with a match and when the smoke cleared you took of the little tin thing off and put it all back together. Worked real good. Used em all the time when I was a kid. Probably illegal now. Insurance takes care of all that stuff now.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a plug kit in the saddle bag along with a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I also keep a can of inflate a flat, but do not like to use it if I do not have to. It usually costs more to have it repaired if the inflate a flat is used and it throws off the balance, depending on how far you have to go to get it fixed.

Spoke wheels from the factory will be tubed for sure, Cast wheels are tubeless. Also check the valve stem. A tubeless valve stem will have a bulge at the base and a tube will have a smooth taper larger at bottom, narrower at top.

For tubeless repair I have a plug kit with CO2 cartridges as a temp fix; I bought one on e-bay for about $40.00. Some of the "fix a flat" stuff will pretty much trash the inside of your rim; probably clean it up with some elbow grease. "Twoup" has about the best fix I know for tubed tires; though I have used "SLIME" on tubed dirt bike tires; but it ruins the tube and makes a mess.

I carry the aerosal fix a flat on long trips,I figure that will get me to the next dealer where they can replace the tire. 7 more years left on the tire and wheel warranty:Banane21::Banane17::banana-bye

I carry a small 12volt air compressor and tire plugs to get to get me home. I am my own tire man!

Thorns

Attachments

• 2009012717321925652_med.jpg
    2009012717321925652_med.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will keep a can of fix a flat in the saddlebags from now on and hope I won't ever need it.

gator

Back