free website stats program Flashing Lights and Dead Battery? | Harley Davidson Forums

Flashing Lights and Dead Battery?

mrglide

Because of very heavy fog I stopped under a bridge until things got better. I kept my turn signals flashing along with rear lights and head light turned on to warn other drivers. The bike was parked only a few feet off the road.

Of course when the skies cleared and I could ride again my bike only made that awful groaning sound of a weak battery.

How long should these lights be able to keep flashing? Should they be left on this way? After a jump from another Harley, I was OK to ride again. Do you think the battery can be saved? Is riding a distance enough to charge it? Will a battery tender be enough to bring it up to par?

This is on a 2009 FHLTC Electra Glide Classic.

Thank you for any input.

Battery should be ok after 15 minutes riding.If not,battery tender will bring it to normal.I think headlight use is what killed it.I would have used accessory position and 4-way flashers only.

I would agree with Harttoo on that. The head light draws quite a bit off the battery.
tourbox

I have a new Battery this spring in my 09 FLHR. Installed BEFORE it gave up...

I don't keep 09 King on a tender as it is ridden LOTS. The 06 1200 R. sport bike is on a tender and ridden very Little. Battery is good and 3 yrs old on the sporty.

It MIGHT be close on your 09 bike IF Original...:newsmile07:

signed....BUBBIE

Since my headlight is LED, I thought it might be OK. Guess not. :(

Just checked my battery tender and it has a steady green light, so that is a good sign.

I am still curious how long only the four way flashers will go before killing things? Any educated guesses on that?

So far the answers are great and will help me sleep better tonight. :)

If the battery is original. It is probably time for a new one. Have it load tested to be sure.

Load tested? Why didn't I think of that? :(

The battery now seems OK with over 14 volts under load.

Thanks to all who replied.

Load tested? Why didn't I think of that? :(

The battery now seems OK with over 14 volts under load.

Thanks to all who replied.

Check that again, as you apply a load the voltage should drop, then come back up once the load is off, but 14 volts cannot be right, even with a fully charged battery 14 volts would be high, typical for a tender or charger to kick off @ or around 13 1/2 volts JMO

My comment about 14 volts was probably made without understanding what was meant by being "under load".

After using my battery tender, I let my bike sit a few days with no tender. Then, I ran the lights for a few minutes. Later, I started the bike with no problem, rode a while and checked the voltages after a time with the bike turned off, on with Accessories, and with engine running. Turned off, the voltage was about 12.7. With the engine on it was a bit over 14 volts using a voltmeter. While riding it is also over 14 volts using the gauge.

I understood "under load" to mean when the engine is turned on.

If my language was sloppy, please let me know. I don't want to pretend that I am good at this. In fact, anything attempted by me was learned here the past few years. I may have not gotten it all correct.

Check that again, as you apply a load the voltage should drop, then come back up once the load is off, but 14 volts cannot be right, even with a fully charged battery 14 volts would be high, typical for a tender or charger to kick off @ or around 13 1/2 volts JMO

Back