free website stats program Flashing LED Brake light | Harley Davidson Forums

Flashing LED Brake light

BCRoadking

Just wondering if you guys think there a good safety addition . As i work on Fire Aparatus , have access to some killer red flash units that are compact and very bright . And what ever makes the Cage Riders notice me before they flaten me seems like a good idea . Your Opinions ????

I'm looking to put a flasher modulator on my LED tail light.
It flash 3 x then goes on solid when you hit the brakes

Tail light modulators are a good idea...when ever I am coming to a normal controlled stop or turn, I usually double or triple tap my rear brake lights with my foot or hand controls before I execute the manuever out of habit, especially if I see a car at my 6 coming up on me, just to prewarn them I am braking or stopped.

Have not been rear ended since the single time in 1986, when I was stopped, both brakes engaged, in neutral when cager behind tried to do a right turn, saw out of the left eye the cross signal turn green so car rolled over my luggage carrier and bumped me into the crosswalk... so I would guess my 23 year habit if automatic should do at least as well.

Just wondering if you guys think there a good safety addition . As i work on Fire Aparatus , have access to some killer red flash units that are compact and very bright . And what ever makes the Cage Riders notice me before they flaten me seems like a good idea . Your Opinions ????

Send them to me.I WILL PUT THEM ON MY TRUCK AND TRAILER:D

I wonder about the cagers paying attention sometimes, but the real issue I have with the blinking tail lights comes from a "long ride" behind one. We were all cruising through the Adriondacks last year and the Road Glide in front of me had the oscillating tail light. I have to tell you, That became such a distraction that I found myself looking at it, rather than the more "important" road conditions or scenery. They may or may not warn of your presence to a following vehicle, but for any distance I sincerely believe that they can ( as in my personal expierence) become a distraction. I finally had to move up and ask the Road Glider if I could move in front of him to get away from that tail light. When we pulled off for a view rest, he approached me and asked why I had made the request. When I told him, he was surprised and somewhat astonished. "Heck ( Glider, not his actual word ) I never think about it, just thought it was a neat addition." I said, might be unless you're stuck behind it for 20 miles. At the end of our ride almost every biker had the same opinion about being behind that (another banned explative) flasher.

I could only assume that other motorist will share that opinion and maybe even do something stupid to get away from it out on a highway. Just a thought, not meant to offend anyone.

I've heard pros and cons about the tail light flashers. Some say that when following a bike with one of these units that the driver behind you gets a false sense of when you are actually breaking and it can cause a problem there. I would rather stay with a bright version of the stock unit without the blinker myself.

I've been behind vehicles that have the upper, third brake light set up to flash and it really grabs your attention - and that's the whole point. I don't ride in large groups or in a lot of stop and go traffic so it wouldn't be much of a factor for me in those situations. I'm putting one on mine this week.

On the other end of the bike - after much good back and forth on a thread I started previously, I've decided to forego the headlight modulator for now.

Thanks for the input guys , this flasher is actually a strobe that you would see on a Fire Truck and or a police car , does not stop flashing , you can change the flash pattern and slow it down with different combinations if you want . I can see that it would be very anoying riding in a group as it is VERY bright , may have to thnk about putting a mini switch in so can turn it off when in a group . Will have to see what our local Law thinks ???? Up here in canada nobodys too sure what the rules are at times. Probably wont hard mount it for now , goin ridin with some freinds this weekend we'll see if i get linched . Thanks .

OK - so you're actually talking about a separate light from the brake light which would flash continuously at intervals adjustable by you. I think most of us thought you were talking about a module which causes your actual rear brake light to flash for a set number of times when you apply the brakes.

You're on the right track. First I'd check into the legality of such a light. Second, I'd make sure I could turn it off for the situations mentioned in previous posts.

No This is a seperate LED light about 1" x 3" that i mounted just below the tailight under the signal light cross bar , angled up slightly so you can get the full effect , gives the same shine as the one you dont want to see in your rear view mirror at times . There easy to wire and have virtually no draw on the stop light circut . As i have these in stock on my service truck figured ......why not .

Back