free website stats program Flag Placement | Harley Davidson Forums

Flag Placement

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Just wondering if there is a 'general protocol' for the flags on motorcycles. An example would be if you want to fly the American flag & a P.O.W. flag on a bike, does it matter which side they are on. Kind of like the rules for flags on the poles, i.e. American flag must be the highest, then the state flag etc.

Thanks!

Thanks Smitty, he got the flag holders that mount on the rails around the saddlebags & now both mounts are pretty much even. I had to ask him if that was the way the flags were supposed to be, (he has the American flag & the P.O.W. flag), so then we started wondering if there was a standard display for the bike.

Oh Richard, when you meet Mr. Attention To Detail, you will know I don't have to worry about that. Unfortunately, we don't have our flag up now because he didn't like the pole, it was old, the wing of the eagle was broken off etc & now we haven't found one to meet his standards. :D Thought we had one until he saw 'made in China' on it, so now the flag is folded in the garage. I married a man who handed me the black paint while I was under a trailer mounting some rings & such for tie downs and told me to paint the new nuts & bolts black. I said why, & his response was so it matches the other metal. I'm thinking 'who is going to see that except the poor soul that may be under the trailer'. I have found it is easier to humor him & just do it. :D :D

Hey Rich, though he & I have been friends for 20 years, we've only been married 3. :D Don't know how long the humoring will last. :s

Come October I will have been married 30yrs. And most of the time my wife still "humours" me when I need silly little details that no one else would understand!:bigsmiley27:

Come October I will have been married 30yrs. And most of the time my wife still "humours" me when I need silly little details that no one else would understand!:bigsmiley27:
I guess that's our job, to humor each other. Sometimes he will humor me just to get me to shut up. :D

BTW, congrats on the 30 years.

One of the things you have to be careful about Joy, (and everybody else who proudly flies these flags on your scooter), is to remember that they will take a real beating on the bike, and should be replaced when damaged and worn looking, which happens after a relatively short while.

I'm on my third set, (I have an American flag on one side and a POW flag on the other), and a new set ready to install this summer, as I know I'm about due.

It's important that these flags are always as bright and shining as our honor of them, so remember to buy two pairs when you plan your first install, so you'll be ready to replace them as necessary.

Smitty, I'm sure you'll agree with me on this one!

As a follow-up, when you have worn out an American flag be sure and dispose of it properly. The American Legion, and other organizations, will do it for you. Just drop your flag off with them.

The link below discusses disposing of a flag.

How to dispose of a worn american flag

Back