free website stats program Fix up the Fatboy or get a Street Glide? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fix up the Fatboy or get a Street Glide?

Rich2010

Hello fellow riders on the HDTALKING Site,
I have a mind bending question that I hope y’all will not hold back on and give me your up front and honest feelings about, especially you softail and fatboy owners as well as Street Gliders.
BACKGROUND: I have a 2010 Fatboy FLSTF (10K miles) for 19 months now and have NOT made any changes or upgrades such as exhaust systems, engine, or gearing in the transmission. On several occasions of rides lasting one hour or so this bike feels like it is not geared right. If cursing along the Georgia back roads in fifth (5TH) around 60mph the bike sounds like it is screaming for sixth (6TH) gear but after shifting up to sixth the bike feels like it is lopping. I don’t have any softail friends that I can compare notes with so I’m putting it up for discussion. I don’t know if a Screaming Eagle Kit is the answer or putting on a set of Vance & Hines Short Stacks with a fuelpak will help. Or should I look for a NEW Street Glide.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

Hello fellow riders on the HDTALKING Site,
I have a mind bending question that I hope y’all will not hold back on and give me your up front and honest feelings about, especially you softail and fatboy owners as well as Street Gliders.
BACKGROUND: I have a 2010 Fatboy FLSTF (10K miles) for 19 months now and have NOT made any changes or upgrades such as exhaust systems, engine, or gearing in the transmission. On several occasions of rides lasting one hour or so this bike feels like it is not geared right. If cursing along the Georgia back roads in fifth (5TH) around 60mph the bike sounds like it is screaming for sixth (6TH) gear but after shifting up to sixth the bike feels like it is lopping. I don’t have any softail friends that I can compare notes with so I’m putting it up for discussion. I don’t know if a Screaming Eagle Kit is the answer or putting on a set of Vance & Hines Short Stacks with a fuelpak will help. Or should I look for a NEW Street Glide.
Thanks in advance,
Rich

JMO ---- If you let your machine open and breathe with a fueler and A/C unit , you'll notice some change in in the way it sounds and runs. Never owned a fatboy or SG but did have a 07 UC that acted the same way. Ran it stock for a year then changed over to a V&H Fuelpak w/ tapered slashcuts and a A.N. A/C and MY GOODNESS!!!! Another thing I noticed is anything under 70 mph I never hit 6th gear. As soon as funds and weather permits - Im looking at doing the same with my TG. Might go with a Gen 4 fueler this time. Im sure others will be along that has the scoots your talking about to give their thoughts on the subject.

Now my opinion is this, "Someday you will own a bagger" so with the money needed to upgrade current bike maybe looking at the Glide might be the way to go long short term. At least with the Glide you will have a tach to know what revs you are running.......:s
Though R. Lewis's advice is very solid...

My Electra Glide has the same gearing as your Fat Boy. My tach shows 2,400 rpm in 5th which is in the sweet spot of the torque range, but I admit I want to shift into 6th. 6th gear @60 mph is 2,000 rpm, which is too low. My bike (stage I) will go on a flat road, but is a dog as far as accelerating without downshifting. Once I get above 65 mph, 6th is good. Don't worry about turning some rpm's, it won't hurt it.
As for trading the Fat Boy for a Street Glide,,, I ain't gonna get involved.

Last edited:
The market is soft now, I am afraid you would take a clobberin trying to get rid of what you have now. These bikes with out opening up the exhaust and air and adding some fuel do suffer , that said I would opt for a tuner (TFI) pipes and air cleaner get it on the hiway and click her in overdrive JMO

Tough call. If I had a my way I would like to grow up to be like some others around here without mentioning names and own a softail and my current bagger. My .02

I think Jack makes a good point about the market. A TFI fueler, pipes, SE AC, and maybe throw in a batwing fairing with some good speakers and you have a totally different bike. The upgrades won't cost you near as much as a new ride.

Tough call. If I had a my way I would like to grow up to be like some others around here without mentioning names and own a softail and my current bagger. My .02

Ouch :newsmile100::rider

Bodeen it's only $$$$$.:small3d031::small3d031::bigsmiley23:

Back