free website stats program Fitting Sissy Bar | Harley Davidson Forums

Fitting Sissy Bar

TomH65

Hi all, I am new to this forum and new to Harley. I have just bought a 2005 XL1200R. Can anybody give me some tips on fitting the sideplates to this model? I have read all sorts about relocating indicators etc.
I have ordered genuine parts from HD and will attempt fitting this weekend.
Are there any potential problems / cautions that I should be aware of?
Do the sideplates fit between the chrome fittings and body?
As this is my first Harley, I don't want to risk making a hash of it.
Cheers. Tom:D

I have not done a sissy bar and side plates on a rubber mount sportster but on the solid mount sportster the kit from Harley had all the parts that were needed and comprehensive fitting instructions
turn signals stayed where they were and the side plates had a cut out section that accommodated them

Brian

First thing is, it would be ideal if you have a jack so you can drop the back wheel a bit cos you're gonna have to get under the fender and space is really tight for working there.

1 Undo the 2 fixings (torx) holding the chrome trim through the fender strut & into the fender; then undo the nut holding the turn signal stalk so as to remove the turn signal, disconnect wiring & remove turn signal shroud and housing

2 When you have the fixings out it's a matter of sliding the sideplate in between the strut and the fender; the holes in the sideplate will line up with the holes in the fender, the strut and the chrome cover trim. BUT the original bolts will not do for refitting; because of the thickness of the sideplate you will need slightly longer bolts - your dealer should know to include these wth your parts list if he knows what you are planning.
3 The rear fixing through the trim & strut is into a nut plate beneath the fender and can be a real pain to get on if you hav'nt dropped te wheel
4 It would be good if you could get some grommets to cover the holes left where the turn signals were originally fitted.

I take it you have instructions for relocating the turn signals, extending the wiring etc measure it out and solder on new lengths & don't forget to slip on a bit of shrink wrap before you make the joint (like I done!).

Oh, and if you have a manual that would be really helpful. Good luck!

Thanks Brian and Rawldyman.
I don't have any manuals apart from the HD owners manual. The parts are in the mail right now. I will attempt the fitting on the first dry day after receiving them.
I have a T40 allen key for the existing bolts. The bike prevously had a bar fitted, so hopefully the bolts should be the right length.
Cheers, tom

In the past when i have bought a harley kit if any longer bolts were required they were in the kit

Brian

Finally the parts for the sissy bar have arrived. I tried to fit the sideplates today, but one side I have a problem with. The indicator has a nut on the inside of the rear mudguard. When i turned the nut to release the chrome trim, the indicator fell off.
The thread goes through the indicator housing to the indicator. The nut will not come off the thread. I tried gently knocking it through but it won't move, therefore I can't pull the trim away in order to fit the sideplate. even with the nut and the bolt constantlt turning, it won't allow me to ease the trim away from the mudguard.
Are there any tips you can give me please?
I have sprayed WD40 on the nut and left it to soak.
The other side was easy because the previous owner left the nut off.
Cheers, tom

Finally the parts for the sissy bar have arrived. I tried to fit the sideplates today, but one side I have a problem with. The indicator has a nut on the inside of the rear mudguard. When i turned the nut to release the chrome trim, the indicator fell off.
The thread goes through the indicator housing to the indicator. The nut will not come off the thread. I tried gently knocking it through but it won't move, therefore I can't pull the trim away in order to fit the sideplate. even with the nut and the bolt constant turning, it won't allow me to ease the trim away from the mudguard. Are there any tips you can give me please?
I have sprayed WD40 on the nut and left it to soak. The other side was easy because the previous owner left the nut off.
Cheers, tom

Can you tell me where the mud guard is ? Also what is an indicator ?
IMG_3746.jpg

Can you tell me where the mud guard is ?
IMG_3746.jpg

It is the bit that stops road dirt from the rear wheel being thrown up your back
you would call it a fender in UK it is called a mud guard
indicator is used to indicate your intention to make a manoeuvre also called a turn signal

Brian

Back