free website stats program Fitting a Mustang seat to the '89 FXR frame | Harley Davidson Forums

Fitting a Mustang seat to the '89 FXR frame

RocDoc7

This is about the 1989 FXR that I bought last month.
I am currently using 3 Mustang seats on my other bikes, so this brand was the choice for replacing the one the modified FXR came with.
The bike came with a strange-looking solo seat when I got it last month. I changed it to the 2-part Mustang seat. The company warned that a custom bracket would need to be fabricated in order to mount the seat. It took some hard thinking for that purpose, but I found a solution. Made a stainless steel curved bracket that bolts in at the rear tank mounts. Then I welded, very carefully, a steel tongue to the seat pan to connect underneath the curved bracket. I absorbed the heat with a moist towel after each weld. Didn't want to melt the vinyl on my brand new $400 seat.
I removed the ancient frame tabs for the hinged setup that the stock seat (long gone) had. Then I welded a 1/4" thick steel tab on each of the two frame tubes. Drilled one 5/16" hole in each. They are positioned to line up exactly with two existing threaded inserts in the seat pan that the manufacturer put there.
The tabs are visible below, still in their primer coat. On the end tab of the tank you can see the stainless steel bracket into which the tongue of the seat slides.
1aa3567b9a1d6b9a18921042b640a155.jpg

On the underside of the seat pan, I turned a 5/16" x 3" bolt into each of the threads. Then I cut the head and some of the unthreaded portion off, so that I now have two 2-inch studs protruding downward from the seat pan. They fit exactly into the new frame tabs, and the seat appears to be holding very tight. I need it to be easily removable because access to the oil tank and dipstick is underneath the seat.

You can also see some stray wires in the photo. That's because the wiring on the bike came as a home-made mess. I'm rewiring all the lights radically, changing everything to LED while I'm at it.

RocDoc

Back