free website stats program fittin exhaust gaskets ?? Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

fittin exhaust gaskets ?? Help!

tuonotony

brought an 07 twin-cam FXDWG gotta real nice set of V&H grasscutters anyway theres no exhaust gaskets been fitted so i thought no probs so ive bought some ! tried 2 fit them but there doesnt seem 2 be anyway that thats appenin so i thought they must be the wrong gaskets but no im assured their rite ! Am i missin something ? anyone got any advice ! any help would be most welcome

I found that soaking them in WD-40 and taking your time pressing them in with your fingers works pretty well.

Which gaskets? The tapered fiber type or the SS mesh? The tapered gaskets are meant to go in one way. The SS gaskets will go in either way but are a tight fit. You will have to push them in with an instrument of your choosing and seat them flat in the gasket bore. I usually get them started by hand and use a socket of the right diameter and an extension to tap them into the seat.

did the bike have no original gaskets with it? some times the old gaskets may actually look like part of the head. have you looked to see if the old ones are in fact there and that is why you can't get the new ones in.

Back