free website stats program First upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

First upgrade

Hill202

Contributor
This is a great site with lots of good info!

Just bought a 2009 Soft tail custom. This is my first Harley. I ordered Bassani pro street pipes and a Cobra FI 2000r digital fuel processor. I have not ordered a air cleaner yet. Couple of questions;

How difficult is it to install and set-up the Cobra unit?
Am I going to see an improvement in performance with-out upgrading the a/c?

Thanks for any input on this.

Thanks for the tip Glider. I've got it worked out now. There's lots of good info here for first time owners.

Looks like alot of it comes from you. I appreciate it.

you will get more power if you also do the a/c. 100 bucks on ebay is what I paid for my Ness big sucker. worthwhile investment.

you will get more power if you also do the a/c. 100 bucks on ebay is what I paid for my Ness big sucker. worthwhile investment.

Yea, I called them back this morning and ordered the Ness. It's supposed to all be here Fri.

Thanks for the tip

Glider, My 08 FXSTC has Rush 2-1/4 installed. I'm running hot as ...well, you know. I talked to my dealer and he suggested, seeing how I already had the reduced back pressure pipes installed, a Stage 1 air cleaner and a re-map to "unlean" the girl. Will this be all I need ? I ride a fair amount but not hammer down type. Mostly in the 65 to 70mph range. Bought her in July of 08 and have 12,100 miles.

The dealer is partially correct with the stage 1 air filter. Two things here... the 2 1/4" baffles are a bit large for best power, not enough back pressure so it shows as a slight loss of power.
Second the dealer download is still on the lean side due to EPA regs. I suggest getting a TFI and you will see a difference in the long run. The TFI is adjustable, the download isn't.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

More on the TFI here.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

I thought I would post some pics of my stage one upgrade progress. Maybe a new owner will come along and find these helpful. Please keep in mind this is my first time doing this type of upgrade. Feel free to jump in with some comments or tips.

The first thing I noticed when I removed the stock pipes are the exhaust gaskets are ragged looking and difficult to distinguish from the cylinder itself. The bike only has 600 miles on it so I am not replacing these. Looks like I would have to do some extensive digging to get them out.

I have installed the O2 sensors into the new pipes. The neighbors are not going to like these :D

The stock pipes are much heavier than the aftermarket pipes. Are they worth anything? ebay? junk? Storage and trip over them?

In preparing to install the Cobra unit, I removed the battery and dug out the O2 sensor connector that was under it. I disconnected the one behind the voltage regulator as well (I think that is what that thing is) Pretty much straight forward. The unit is set to arrive tomorrow.

Attachments

• exhaust 10001.jpg
    exhaust 10001.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 36
  • pipes10001.jpg
    pipes10001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 34
  • pipes20001.jpg
    pipes20001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
  • sensor10001.jpg
    sensor10001.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 36
  • sensor20001.jpg
    sensor20001.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 34
It looks different with the stock pipes gone. The rear wheel is really exposed. I think saddlebags would help the appearance alot.

Thats it for now, I guess I posted these wrong because someone was editing this while I was posting and put it all into one post. I apologize if I did it wrong.

One question in regards to the Cobra unit, How in the heck do you get to the injectors? Raise the tank? When I remove the breather, they may be more accessable.

Attachments

• funnybike0001.jpg
    funnybike0001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back