free website stats program First Bike Newbie | Harley Davidson Forums

First Bike Newbie

Mabton8Ultra

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just purchased my first ever motorcycle. A 2008 FLHTCU that looks and runs like new. I'm the second owner, the first owner pampered this bike. I live in SoCal IE and need suggestions for a good training class. I'm literally brand new to riding. I would like to find a group of riders to join and learn the how to's of riding. Riding gear suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for allowing me to join this group and I look forward to meeting some of you.

Start with finding and taking a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) beginners course. Some provide lightweight bikes to use in the course. There should be a lot of motorcycle groups in SoCal to check out. A word of advice, don't become a Harley snob, no one except themselves take them seriously.

Welcome aboard from Gulf Coast AL. Good advice given from Breeze3at. Since this is your first MC be a very defensive rider, try to anticipate what other drivers will do. Some of this should be taught at the MC course.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on your new to you bike.
Along with a safety course I recommend that you find a open parking lot and practice slow speed balancing and comfortable turns and work your way to tight turns.
This will get you familiar with the weight of the bike.
Than when your good solo get a bsr and practice again with the added weight.
Watch out for everything including the animals, 4 legged and 2 legged, most only care about where their going and not what's in their path.

Congratulations on your first-ever motorcycle. There are many groups that you can join easily. There are many reasons to join courses for different skills. As this is your first experience so I suggest you start at a slow speed and keep balanced your bike. Most importantly whenever you tried to turn to check thoroughly keep focused and open your eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back