free website stats program Finding Neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Finding Neutral

glider

Veteran Member
Many times it's posted that there is problems finding neutral.

The biggest point that is never brought up about finding neutral is to do it before you are completely stopped. It will drop right in then.

Adjusting the clutch properly and using a good synthetic gear lube like Spectro will make it drop in like it is supposed to. Also an over filled primary will give you a problem with finding neutral because of the parasitic drag on the clutch from the excess oil between the clutch plates.

When the engine is first started and the primary oil is cold and thick, you will get more than the average clunk when you first drop it into gear.
To minimize this clunk for the first shift, try holding the clutch in for a few seconds before dropping it into first.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Thanks for this self help tip. I have seen this question posted many times. This is some good advise and will fix the problem in almost every instance.

I found on my 03 that the terminal connectors on the neutral switch don't make good and tight connections (Bad design). I had tried squeezing them tighter this winter during a rebuild but after only 900 miles they are acting up again. They are under $3 each. Going to order a couple tomorrow and see if they make it any better.

I have found more then once that the clutch discs get gummed up and stick together, not letting the clutch release completely. I have also seen the clutch basket have grooves worn into the slots where the tabs on the disks slide into making the discs stick and not fully release.

My 1997 Road King would not go into neutral from 2nd gear and this was actually stated in the manual. I always found that odd!

I have found more then once that the clutch discs get gummed up and stick together, not letting the clutch release completely. I have also seen the clutch basket have grooves worn into the slots where the tabs on the disks slide into making the discs stick and not fully release.

My 1997 Road King would not go into neutral from 2nd gear and this was actually stated in the manual. I always found that odd!

Nascer,

Most riders/repairs miss that... Good to check if Many hard miles on the clutch.

Biffy,

I have never had good results going to Neutral from second on any of my Harleys, past and present...:rofl... I go Down to first then Up.

signed....BUBBIE

Nascer,

Most riders/repairs miss that... Good to check if Many hard miles on the clutch.

Biffy,

I have never had good results going to Neutral from second on any of my Harleys, past and present...:rofl... I go Down to first then Up.

signed....BUBBIE

I was NEVER able to get neutral from 2nd. My current Street Glide will do it like butter!!!:p I think going all the way from 5th gear through down to 1st and than back up to neutral could be dangerous for a novice.

Back