free website stats program filter | Harley Davidson Forums

filter

hi folks, have 2003 heritage softail went to change my oil filter with a strap wrench. i broke the strap wrench. any ideas would be appreciated. thank you in advance

thanks for all the help. went to sears bought suggested 3 arm wrench, dealer closed. i did not realize strap wrench crushed bottom of filter. used 3 arm and it worked good. magilla gorilla put on the last filter. lol. thanks again, i recommend the 3 arm wrench.

Glad you got it taken care of. If my memory serves me the correct procedure is to coat the rubber seal on the filter with clean oil and run the filter on until it hits the mount and then turn it 1/4 turn more.

HD definitely didn't R&D their filter location very well for the change...very tight area to get in there, but glad you got it off. I don't look forward to servicing bike, but at least I've got a system down now w/the filter & run-off...

A three leg oil filter wrench is what i use and although i put the filters on hand tight with the relevant coating of oil on the seal it takes a good bit of effort to get them off when it comes to time for changing them
MY bikes oil filters do seem to get tighter while they are in use

Brian

I have never seen the need for a wrench on an oil filter. They should only be installed hand tight and then checked after the first run for leaks. You should be able to spin it off by hand.

Glad you got it taken care of. If my memory serves me the correct procedure is to coat the rubber seal on the filter with clean oil and run the filter on until it hits the mount and then turn it 1/4 turn more.

A three leg oil filter wrench is what i use and although i put the filters on hand tight with the relevant coating of oil on the seal it takes a good bit of effort to get them off when it comes to time for changing them
MY bikes oil filters do seem to get tighter while they are in use

Brian

Theoretically, I totally agree with the first 2 posts above. I do this every time and still have a real hard time getting it off like the 3rd post above. For whatever reason they just seem to tighten up as you ride.

I have switched to the filter with a nut built into the face and I'm really hoping this solves the problem.

As the OP mentions, I've crushed a few filters using the strap wrench - not a good system at all.

I've had good luck with the HD wrench in post #3.
Of course, one time I had to puncture a filter with a screw driver and
lever on that to get it to turn. They do seem to tighten with age....

Take care,
Dave

The vibrations seem to tighten these filters. A good filter wrench is a must if you are doing your own servicing. I use the three leg style and have no problems.

Back