free website stats program filter removel with hd oil cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

filter removel with hd oil cooler

100ed

i have 03 flhtc with factory oil cooler on it i can seem to remove 0il filter wo removing crank posion sencer any ideas

Welcome to the forum 100ed, if you're using the newer style filter wrench with the cut out you should not have to remove the crank position sensor.

tn34s30.jpg

Another word of advice for those who use the Jagg oil cooler is to get the anti rotation device from Jagg for $10. This will stop the filter adapter from loosening when removing the oil filter.
Kemo

Re: filter removal with hd oil cooler

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have the exact same problem with mine ('03 Ultra w cooler). Problem is not with loosening the filter,it's getting it to come all the way off the threads without the filter hitting the crank sensor, thus having to remove the sensor to get it all the way unscrewed.

If you file the edge of the sender a small amount at a 45 the filter will clear you may also try putting the filter on hand tight only with lube on o ring and you can then loosen filter w filter pliers or water pump pliers and spin off rest of the way by hand

I had the same problem after installing my HD oil cooler on the '99 Ultra. Sandwitching the piece that directs the oil to and from the filter is the problem. It brings the filter out just enough so it contacts the sensor before being unscrewed all of the way. Being a trusting soul , I figure that no one would design such a unit without taking the clearance thing into consideration, so it must be something that I did wrong. I elect to contact HD. Ended up speaking to a gal in their tech dept who thoroughly understood the problem I was having, and assured me that I hadn't done anything wrong. That, in fact, that is the way the cooler was designed, and yes, you have to yank the sensor each time you change the filter. Mind you, I am certain that the innovative folks who inhabit this forum have come up with ways to circumvent this phenominum, but what I just relayed was the MoCo's answer to my querry.....

That blows my mine The4opps1, I have not had one like that come through the shop and I've been there 10 years, that what I like about the forum, there's always something to learn here. I've went through the install sheet and only thing they say about 04 & earlier is not do a cold oil check. I think I would of been asking for a refund, that's just crazy having to take the crank sensor out everytime.

View attachment Oil Cooler 99-06 TC-J03249.pdf

Do you think using this filter wrench to loosen and then hand remove the filter would allow it to clear...just curious.

tn51s30.jpg

Also noticed that clearance is close enough in the instructions that even poor rotation of the oil line clamps can interfere with filter removal as well.

Last edited:
Back