free website stats program Fender Tip Light Wiring-Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Fender Tip Light Wiring-Removal

semperfire

Trying to take fenders off. The tip lights have a plug connector. When looking at OEM parts it shows that the wire can be pulled from the plug connector in order to snake the wire back out of the fender

How do you get the wiring out of the plug connector. There is a little hatch that flips up to expose it. Pulling on wire with pliers but to no avail

I believe that is an Amp Multilock Connector. Below is the procedure for removing the terminals from the housing. Be gentle or you will need the info JBC2565 posted :s

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 82
Can't see the pic. Info is great. Have the rear cover up. Looks like you release what's holding the wire through the connector end. Looks like there are small tabs above the wire terminals. Trying to figure out if that is what the instructions were pointing towards. Using push pin. Been trying to get small screwdriver into there to release them. If that is it, then that screwdriver is headed to the grinding wheel to become smaller

Sorry for cutting out the pic of the connector but it really only shows what that particular connector looks like and not much help on how it comes apart. It sounds like you got the jest of the procedure down from reading the text though. I too use a small scribe like STEVE07 as even most small screwdrivers are still to big.

Good luck :D

DON'T PULL UP ON THAT LATCH MUCH or it will break. Forget the latch, that ain't how they come off. (unless you are talking about the press latch that releases each connector housing section).

Paper clip works best on Molex connectors, those look like AMP connectors and I've found a bobby pin works best on them. But an OEM bobby pin needs a mod done to be really effiective.

I bend the bobby pin at a right angle so the one part becomes a handle.

Then the flat (straight) end is the end you want to insert into the AMP connector release hole (which is the middle row of holes (not the outside row)).

But it works best if you file the the bobby pin just a tad flatter. Don't use a coarse file (that's too much). If you don't have a fine file, use 150 grit sand paper. This way it will slide up UNDER the release tab better.

Then as you push the bobby pin into the correct hole, (it will need to go in about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch (any further and you've got too far).

Feel around for it to butt up against something as you go in. When you find (feel) that point hold pressure on the bobby pin while you twist it.

That will lift the release tab better than just prying up since the bobby pin will flex as you pry. So you need to twist it.

Some say to pull on the wire just a little (not hard) as you twist, BUT I DON'T. I've tried both ways and have better luck not pulling on the wire. You will FEEL the release when it happens and then just pull the wire and it's end connector out.

Once you do a few you will see how easy it becomes. It won't release on every twist attempt. But I wish I were there to show you since I could release both pins in 15 seconds or less.

I show this being done on my Handlebar Install video (this forum) but you would have to watch a lot of other video to get to that part. Just do as above and take your time, it's way less trouble than cutting and soldering or crimping and then heat shrinking.

Amp also has kits with pins/receptacles that come with plastic nylon tool used to release the terminals. But since we don't do this often, the "modified" scribe, paper clip and bobby pin approaches do work...part of my aresenal of "one off" special tools in my tool box. Been in electronics for some time, betcha ol' Hoop has a bunch too!:D

Amp also has kits with pins/receptacles that come with plastic nylon tool used to release the terminals. But since we don't do this often, the "modified" scribe, paper clip and bobby pin approaches do work...part of my aresenal of "one off" special tools in my tool box. Been in electronics for some time, betcha ol' Hoop has a bunch too!:D

One of these days I'm gonna find a jewelers screwdrive with a long enough shank and machine it down with a belt sander. If you get the angle just right on the end you can just shove it in and it automatically slips under and lifts the release tab. Course you can buy an AMP tool but the cheapest one I found was $48 bucks.

I think Hoop has gone to the Bahamas or somewhere cause he ain't been on in awhile. Or else he may have gotten tired of the slow access and connection problems and just took a break from the forum. He's not even answering his email.

Back