free website stats program Fatboy suspension mods for handling | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy suspension mods for handling

durhamBob

Does anyone have any advice about suspension mods for a Fatboy ('92) to improve the handling a bit? I'm not expecting it to handle like a sportbike but I reckon it could do with a bit (actually a lot) more rebound damping (keeps bouncing for quite a while after even minor bumps in the road). I reckon this is slightly more of a rear end than front end issue. I tend to ride twisty country roads, probably slightly too fast for the Fatboy (my other bike is a Ducati 900SS, also '92). The Fatboy is a fairly old bike so I suppose the stock shocks (dampers) might be knackered. I was thinking heavier fork oil and replacement dampers for the softail bit. I guess you can't get Ohlins for a Fatboy :s

Don't know how many miles on the bike but it could probably use new shocks and rebuild of the front forks. I have a 94FLSTC and have changed rear shocks 3 or 4 times and rebuilt the front forks 4 or 5 times. Currently I'm using Progressive rear shocks (not lowered) and Progressive fork springs and 10wt fork oil. No it will never handle like your Duc but it will get through the twisties pretty well if you don't mind grinding the footboards (I'm on my 3rd set of them).

If your problem is rebound (bouncing), it sounds like the shocks are due for replacement. Softails have a firm ride unlike touring bikes but the bouncing indicates worn shocks.

Ya know ya goin too fast around those corners when the floorboards start catchin the asphalt > grinz

Were all guilty of that one! Still tryin to adjust to those things > laffs

Already slackened off the footboards so its them that lift instead of the bike. It still makes me grin when they grind all the way round a curve though!

I keep the boards loose enough so they come up pretty easy, but they still wear on the edge. Thats why they sell replacements.

Slightly tricky to tell the mileage - the speedo reads half speed and so the odometer is also going to be out. Wrong speedo drive I suspect. I'm still really enjoying the bike though, despite (or because?) of 35 years on Ducatis (and a BMW R90S that I should never have sold).

Don't know how many miles on the bike but it could probably use new shocks and rebuild of the front forks. I have a 94FLSTC and have changed rear shocks 3 or 4 times and rebuilt the front forks 4 or 5 times. Currently I'm using Progressive rear shocks (not lowered) and Progressive fork springs and 10wt fork oil. No it will never handle like your Duc but it will get through the twisties pretty well if you don't mind grinding the footboards (I'm on my 3rd set of them).

Back