free website stats program fatboy saddlebag brackets | Harley Davidson Forums

fatboy saddlebag brackets

saintNH

I am trying to put throwover bags on my 01 fatboy. I have the bags, but I need the brackets. I have been reading about brackets and finding that some say they fit 84-99 softails and some say 84-up. Someone I know has a set that the holes are 6 1/4" apart that came off of a 97 fatboy. I measured the distance between my fender bolts and its about 9 1/4". I'm wondering if I can flex the brackets to fit because if all fit 84-up I wonder if I can just pull them apart a little to make them fit. anyone have any experience?
WAP.gif

i bought some for my 98... better to buy the ones that fit... worth it in the long run

I wasn't sure if they were universal and you were supposed to since some said they fit 84-up and up and some said 84-99.
WAP.gif

Or if I just wasn't measuring the right spots to mount them. I measured from the two bolts that mount the backrest.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Hardbags on one of my Softails, used Sumax brackets, and everything fit well. They accept HD style hard bags or any other aftermarket bag that mounts to Harley style brackets.

Perhaps the description on the ones that said 84 and up was written prior to 99 and the decryption has never been changed
If you buy as a kit from HD for your bike it will come complete with all the hardware you need to mount them

Brian

My HD accessory catalog shows 91790-84c "fits '84-'06 FL Softail models (except FLSTS) and '84-'05 FX Softail models (except FXSTD). Will not fit with detachables.
So, the ones off the '97 Fatboy should fit your '01.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I think I may have made a mistake in my measuring. I was measuring between the two bolts for the backrest which is 9 1/4". The distance between the front backrest bracket and the bolt right behind the seat is exactly 6 1/4". I held the bags up and that's exactly where they will be. So the guy told me I could take them and try them and if they work I can keep them, which I now think they will because I saw a fatboy on my way home with the bracket in that exact spot. Don't I feel dumb.ha! I will post if they fit or not in case someone does the same thing in the future.
WAP.gif

Back