free website stats program Fatboy 2011 Front Fork question on lifting | Harley Davidson Forums

Fatboy 2011 Front Fork question on lifting

davidfb

When I jack up my bike with my J&S jack the front fork extends as I jack it up and wheel raises off ground, the front brake cable gets really tight as i raise the bike. My friend has a new electra glide touring and his wheel does not extend using a J&S jack. Does not appear to hurt cable but it is to the max length.

Thanks in advance for any help

David

I don't think you're the first and I don't think the type of jack you're using has anything to do with the brake line getting tight. Your friends break line may be longer or routed differently or it may be just the difference in models. I can't remember a brake line getting tight when I raised my bikes, are you sure yours is routed correctly or that it is the right brake line for your bike. Has any work been done on your front forks? Like different springs or spacers?

This seems like safety issue. I would be concerned more about riding conditions which extend the forks quicker & harder than slowly jacking the bike up.

I bought the bike new from HD they had to order it , no one touched bike but HD since I have had it. No fork work. 7200 miles on it.
I know the jack has nothing to do with line getting tight, just wondered if anyone else noticed it on a Fatboy when lifted it, we jacked up my friends 2014 electra glide ultra and his wheel(fork) does not extend or move down any.

With the weight of the bike on the wheels the springs inside the forks will compress
When the bike is lifted from the ground the forks will extend as there is no weight bearing down on the springs
If your friends bike forks do not extend when the bike is lifted from the ground then his fork springs may be too firm

Brian

Back