free website stats program Faring Mounted Oil Temp Gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Faring Mounted Oil Temp Gauge

Mongo1958

Man it has been a while since I last stopped in to see what's going on. My last modification upgrade was installing Screamin Eagle valve rocker arms and cam plate with high capacity oil pump. Now I'm going to install a faring mounted oil temperature gauge. I had an electronic dip stick that would mesure oil temp and level but it quit working. Good thing I kept my old dip stick. Any way, I found a gift card that I'd forgotten about so I went to my dealer and ordered the kit. I read the instructions and was looking in the maintenance manual to scope out what I need to do and where everything is located. P107 is mentioned but I could not find it until I did a Google search and I finally found it on the left side of the stiring column, just under the inner fairing, above two big cable harnesses going though a P clamp. I will soon post my comments on the install with pics. Have a great weekend with many blessings.

Update: Installed the oil temp Gage in the fairing. Found 2 issues. The rubber piece just under the head light was delaminating from the faring. I had to clean the contact adhesive and appied two way tape to it, that worked great. The other issue was the top middle screw mount, one of three that holds the windshield in place, was pulling out. I screwed in a longer screw that was about 3" long and heated it up with a torch until the plastic sofend. Then I pushed it back in and help it in place until it cooled down, the I just shaved off the access plastic the oozed out with a razor blade.
Anyway all I need to do now is install the sensor into the oil pan and route the cabling.
See y'all on the road

That is the first thing I did on both of the Ultra Classics I've owned. Best and most relevant improvement I've made. The air temp gauge is useless. If you want to know exactly how hot or cold the air temp is, go to a pet store and get a battery powered digital aquarium thermometer. Comes with suction cups and you can remove it when you stop caring exactly HOW COLD or HOW HOT it is outside. Works great and even shows to .1° accuracy. Good for mapping a fuel system or computing a dyno run, I guess.
The oil temp gauge will raise your eyebrows a little bit, especially when you see that needle pass the 240° mark in stop and go traffic and your ETMS kicks in so your engine starts thumping on the front jug only. Mine usually stays around 180 - 190° when cruising.

I put my AFR gauge in where the useless air temp gauge was. Oil temp. gauge down on the motor

Thanks for the update, let us know how everything works when the job is complete.
Finished it up today, I would have finished it yesterday but something came up. Fired up the bike and rode it around the neighborhood and let it idle for a bit. It got up to aproxapproxim 150* F , it's working. Sorry I didn't take any pics.

I put my AFR gauge in where the useless air temp gauge was. Oil temp. gauge down on the motor
AFR??? Can you see the oil temp Gauge while you are riding?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the first thing I did on both of the Ultra Classics I've owned. Best and most relevant improvement I've made. The air temp gauge is useless. If you want to know exactly how hot or cold the air temp is, go to a pet store and get a battery powered digital aquarium thermometer. Comes with suction cups and you can remove it when you stop caring exactly HOW COLD or HOW HOT it is outside. Works great and even shows to .1° accuracy. Good for mapping a fuel system or computing a dyno run, I guess.
The oil temp gauge will raise your eyebrows a little bit, especially when you see that needle pass the 240° mark in stop and go traffic and your ETMS kicks in so your engine starts thumping on the front jug only. Mine usually stays around 180 - 190° when cruising.
Agreed. There are many ways to monitor the air temp. A cell phone for one.

Back