free website stats program faring lighting | Harley Davidson Forums

faring lighting

rydahog

hey everone,,hope your rides are good and getting better,,here is my question.
I want to make my gauge lights BRIGHTER, or add more lites?? i cant find anything in the self help area on this topic..add more bulbs? or get slightly bigger wattage lamps and replace the oem ones? thanks..ryd..:small3d023:

may be take one out + try the auto parts stores this may be your little adventure.i do think they have color covers on them u could remove the covers.........good luck..

hey everone,,hope your rides are good and getting better,,here is my question.
I want to make my gauge lights BRIGHTER, or add more lites?? i cant find anything in the self help area on this topic..add more bulbs? or get slightly bigger wattage lamps and replace the oem ones? thanks..ryd..:small3d023:

Your 2 inch gauges have a removeable yellow rubber thingy on them. That will make your lights brighter and white. You can also buy different colored rubber thingys, or bulbs, (but that's not brighter). To get to the bulbs in the 2" gauges, just pull the black plug at the top of the gauge straight out. Your speedo and tach are illuminated by leds that are part of the harness and not replaceable. This is unclearly mentioned in the service manual.
Note:'07 FLHTC lights have yellowish covers, I don't know what color FLHX lights glow, same principal if they are a different color.

Last edited:
I would be careful changing to a higher wattage bulb. The wire and harness might not carry the extra load very well.

thanks all,,,will remove fairing and check out the situation..:)
will update when and if i get it done...:D

LEDs make a lot of sense, but you need to drop the voltage to not drive too much current through them and burn them out, so if your really not into design, go with a "plug and play" approach, or Kevdon' approach if you want something uniquely your own.

If replacing with a smaller amp rated, but brighter incadescent (filament bulb) try to match the bulb size and style. Be aware that they may run hotter, possibly melting the rubber "thingy" (actually plastic colored boot). So compare the OEM to the new setup if you go this route. Just use a little thought before hand and test the rig out BEFORE putting it in will go a long way towards a successful mod.

there is someone that can change the speedo and tac to any color led you want.pm me and i'll tell you where to look not sure if forum likes us talking about other forums . but i have seen his work going to change my 01 electra-glide classic to all blue waiting on leds to come in before i ship my gauges.

smitty901
Re: faring lighting
More light even small amount will cause glare and reduce night vision.
But if you really want to do it go to good auto parts store and look at the very small rope led lights they have.

How would you install rope lights in gauges?

Back