free website stats program Falling Leaves | Harley Davidson Forums

Falling Leaves

DDogg

I just want to remind everyone that lives in a state where fall is upon us, that leaves on the steet are like ice on the road. Be careful when turning a corner if you are on some leaves. I'm back riding after a 30 year break with raising kids. It doesn't take long to remember how slick they are when you start to lose traction around a corner. Gravel is another no-no. Falling leaves might be pretty. But there also pretty slick. Safe riding to all.

I just want to remind everyone that lives in a state where fall is upon us, that leaves on the steet are like ice on the road. Be careful when turning a corner if you are on some leaves. I'm back riding after a 30 year break with raising kids. It doesn't take long to remember how slick they are when you start to lose traction around a corner. Gravel is another no-no. Falling leaves might be pretty. But there also pretty slick. Safe riding to all.

Especially if they are wet.... like in the early morning.

Pine straw is just as bad too. I almost dropped my bike turning onto my road thanks to pine straw. Needless to say it opened my eyes.

Pine straw is just as bad too. I almost dropped my bike turning onto my road thanks to pine straw. Needless to say it opened my eyes.

Yep, and the pine straw is pretty wicked when dry. My parking space is under pine trees and I'm about to put a broom out there!

Great reminder.

I had a slight "sideways moment" on some hot tar earlier in the year when the roads were hot too.

JBK

Great reminder.

I had a slight "sideways moment" on some hot tar earlier in the year when the roads were hot too.

JBK

I forgot about that one. I haven't ridden in 30 years. Started in August.
Thanks for reminding me about that one.

Good call dog. Wet leaves are as slick as ice. Take it from one who knows too well.

It's kinda funny how much the little things on the road that you don't think about when driving your car multiply in severity. Leaves become ice, gravel and pine straw become marbles, dead animals are spike strips and pot holes become canyons.

You hit the nail on the head. When in the cage, everything on the road looks and acts like it's just paper. On a bike, that piece of paper looks like a piece of wood. When riding your concious of everything around you. In your cage, your more concerned about the radio station or cell phone. I wish everyone who wanted to drive a cage would have to ride a bike first to learn to be curtious and pay attention to what's going on around you. I think we bikers would be treated on the road alot different if everyone sat in our seat once or twice. I can bet all of us who ride, are better cagers than ones who don't. This is because we do unto others as we would want done to us. We don't cut people off, we don't tailgate, and we surely don't throw garbage out the window. We ride with respect to others knowing that one stupid move could be our last. Again, if you were required to ride a Harley for 6 months to obtain a license, I think the roads would be alot safer.

You hit the nail on the head. When in the cage, everything on the road looks and acts like it's just paper. On a bike, that piece of paper looks like a piece of wood. When riding your concious of everything around you. In your cage, your more concerned about the radio station or cell phone. I wish everyone who wanted to drive a cage would have to ride a bike first to learn to be curtious and pay attention to what's going on around you. I think we bikers would be treated on the road alot different if everyone sat in our seat once or twice. I can bet all of us who ride, are better cagers than ones who don't. This is because we do unto others as we would want done to us. We don't cut people off, we don't tailgate, and we surely don't throw garbage out the window. We ride with respect to others knowing that one stupid move could be our last. Again, if you were required to ride a Harley for 6 months to obtain a license, I think the roads would be alot safer.
That's a mighty fine idea you have there!! In a car there is way too much we can take for granted. But, for those of us who know better, act better. I heard someone say,"if we all drove our cars with knives 3" from our necks, we'd be the safest drivers in the world."

Back