free website stats program Fairing or no fairing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing or no fairing?

Does not having a fairing improve gas mileage or horsepower? I took my fairing off and put on a nasel front end so now my 89 FLH looks like a Road King. But the question remains, fairing or no fairing?:42:

(HP) I think taking off the fairing gives the same illusion as taking all the baffling out of the pipes, a person will swear the bike has gained hp and is faster when in reality the bike has less. The power of wind & sound.

(Mileage) The fairing adds weight & mass but is aerodynamic, harley estimates mileage for both the roadking and the ultra the same, 35 city & 54 hwy. so I'm going have to go with harley and say one cancels out the other.
Just a guess.

Now Chop, just my humble observation here, but isn't what you just said the same as what I just said? :lolrolling :lolrolling
Yea, your right, I even copied and pasted the word aerodynamics because I couldn't spell it. Sorry:)

I put a Fairing on my Road King now i am teased and told I have a Ultra King go figure. My wife swears with the fairing she gets more air in the passenger seat. We do very long trips so we got it for increased comfort for me. I think it handled better with out the fairing but now don't notice it at all.

I ride the only RK in a group of a 1/2 dz Ultras and Street Glides...some 88's and a couple 96ci and on road trips we are all with in a couple tenths of a gallon of each other when we fuel...even the the bikes with the six sp. The fairings offer a lot better wind protection over my windshield...not to mention the stereo and tach.I find myself riding wing man to the one with the best stereo and enjoying his tunes...lol

I have a horror story about that. One reason I was ok to loose the stereo is because one day my radio was stuck on full blast with Xanado playing. I couldn't turn it off or down until I pulled into my garage. I was moritified! So Manly!

I have a horror story about that. One reason I was ok to loose the stereo is because one day my radio was stuck on full blast with Xanado playing. I couldn't turn it off or down until I pulled into my garage. I was moritified! So Manly!

Tooo Funny

Does not having a fairing improve gas mileage or horsepower? I took my fairing off and put on a nasel front end so now my 89 FLH looks like a Road King. But the question remains, fairing or no fairing?:42:

Now first thought was your mechanical move in changing your machine will increase the scenario of collecting more bugs, and road film.:rofl

I have ridden about 80k on three different Roadkings and have never checked my mileage one time. Really never seen any need to. When running with a pack, we all fill up together and I have NEVER ran out of gas.

Do you have an agenda to improve your mileage by taking off your fairing?

In my case I always figured if I can't afford the gas, I can't afford the machine I pump it into.:s

Buzzard sounds like you are having fun working on and changing your machine to your own liking. And that is what it is all about. The enjoyment of it. Can you post some before and after images of your latest undertaking?

I don't know about gas mileage, but I sure like the protection from flying things that the fairing provides.

Dont want to hi jack your thread but I have an 86 tour glide that needs a new front end. Can you explain a little more about the front end you put on your bike?

Back