free website stats program Fairing Bra | Harley Davidson Forums

Fairing Bra

pfschmidt

I have 2010 UC Classic. Did 600 mile trip to Laughlin, Nev thru rain and snow for River Run. Saw other bikes with fairing bra and thought great idea to protect my new bike (black bike was caked white with road dirt after trip ). Had some dealer points (dealer Dollars) which were to expire so got a fairing bra, normally about $80. After reading install instruction it mentions need to purchase additional fairing trim to hold top near windshield.
For a cheap piece of chrome plated sheet metal with three holes HD wants another $80? Any suggestions how not to shell out additional $$ to make fairing bra functional.
thanks for help.

I want everyone to see the paint on my bike so I see no sense in a fairing bra . Anything from HD that covers part of your bike has velcro tabs that you stick on your paint ( don't know about bra ) but if I want to take off the leather attachment so everyone can see the paint will they see the velcro ?? Just use soap and water and clean your bike .

Not sure if this is relevant or not, but many years ago I had a Toyota MR2 with a leather bra... I was younger and didn't think - left it on all of the time... looks like it trapped a fair amount of water under the bra (at least I was told it was the water) and over time (couple of years) it actually caused the paint to form small cracks.

Again, not 100% sure what the real issue was - but do know the cracks in the paint were only where the bra was, since then I've never used one again... but always said I wouldn't just leave it on if I did. Take this as worth the price you paid for it :)

I don't have a fairing bra, but I have windshield trim made by LaRossa (google them), that looks like the premium HD trim, but cost $50. Its additional $$, but I don't see a way around it, something is needed to spread the stress among the 3 attach points.

Not a fan of fairing bras either for two reasons, one I like to see my paint and two my wife had one on her car years ago and didn't clean it properly resulting in the paint being abraded by grit between the hood and the bra. Kind of like sandpaper. Obviously we pamper our bikes more than we do cars in most cases but I just think a bra is more trouble than it's worth. Biggest problem here is lovebugs in May and for that a little vaseline works wonders. JMHO, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for all the replies. I have front bra on all my cars to protect finish and grill and DO remove them weekly and when it rains to clean under or let it dry out. I have not had any funish problems others mentiond. I plan to only use the fairing bra on long trips and will remove if wet or dirt gets under. I have talked to others and bra is cheaper then the rock chips one gets when travelling cross country. Will look for cheaper trim or make trim strip. No velcro used just tight fitting (to hold up head light haha) and the three windshield screws (or I guess the metal strip to spread support).

Back