free website stats program failed mot | Harley Davidson Forums

failed mot

kennyw

hi guys
fixed reared brakes,took 1200 custom for mot ....it failed!!!! no reflector on rear fender & illegal exhasts(plate says not for road use),should there be a reflector on fender mine has never had one & its gone through 2 mot's,same with exhaust 2 mot's no problem,now its a failure??
:(

hi guys
fixed reared brakes,took 1200 custom for mot ....it failed!!!! no reflector on rear fender & illegal exhasts(plate says not for road use),should there be a reflector on fender mine has never had one & its gone through 2 mot's,same with exhaust 2 mot's no problem,now its a failure??

They don't have an inspection in Florida, but many states do and they all seem to be getting harder to pass. I don't know about other Euro countries but UK seems to be doing a lot of talking about regulating motorcycles.

hi guys

Hi Kenny
Yes your bike should have a reflector,You can get self adhesive ones from most car accessory shops. As for the exhaust,take off the "not for road use" plate.Exhausts no longer need to have BS or EU approved stamps. It is up to the tester to decide if it is too loud.Ask around to find out who MOT'S most of the local custom bikes,cos they are more likely to turn a deaf ear.

2 of mine failed this year for no reflector 2£ for a stick on reflector tester gets to keep his fail count up and just a wee bit of money and your through
i got the warning on the exhaust system last year when i booked in the sportster tester had been caught letting a not for road use exhaust pass through the test and got a big fine for it so i had to dig out a road legal set which i had tucked away and then failed on the number plate being too small so i had to remove the rack from the sissy bar to get the new number plate on
there is always a wee drama at mot time just make sure you have tools with you and a good relationship with the testers

Brian

I got heat shields on my pipes,you need x-ray vision to read the "not for road use" on them.Anyway,Down here in wet and cold Plymouth,mot testers have discretion on your pipes as our Scottish brother said.
Dont know if its the same for car mot testers,but the one I use doesnt sell or repair bikes,but he can MOT them...perfect solution,he's not looking for work,and has no axe to grind.
I have illegal tags on mine too,but not as bad as some,speed cameras can still pick them up,and the police arent too concerned either.My MOT guy told me as long as they are easily read at 20 yards,and arent at some kind of stupid angle(I've seen some looking at the sky) theyre pretty much allowed.
As proof,I've had cops tailing me for some 3 miles,and they just gave me a nod at the lights before they drove off,not the least bit bothered about my pipes,tags,or helmet(I think it's because I put a Harley sticker on the back of the helmet)and the German style helmets are very popular with our local 1% and Harley riders.(mines the real deal,all metal)

Reflectors are standard , but when my bike got wrecked the dealer installed the new rear fender with no reflectors on my Streetbob, I kind of like it and am thinking of removing the front ones now, Capital Jack:s

good morning, good news borrowed a set of standard pipes off work college,swapped them over & took it to a different mot place .....it passed,the mot guy said i would have passed it with the load pipes on, so back home & swop the pipes back,and i'm on the road again:bigsmiley24:
thanks for all your help & advice
ride safe
kenw

good morning, good news borrowed a set of standard pipes off work college,swapped them over & took it to a different mot place .....it passed,the mot guy said i would have passed it with the load pipes on, so back home & swop the pipes back,and i'm on the road again:bigsmiley24:
thanks for all your help & advice
ride safe
kenw

Thats funny when the examiner actually tells you that...most would not, but the key is to have a set to slipon for MOT and your done...:34:

At least you know where to go next year and it always helps to build a good relationship with your tester i go in to mine a few times in the year and spend a few pennies and look round his stock of bikes just so that he does not forget me

Brian

Back