free website stats program Faded Plastic | Harley Davidson Forums

Faded Plastic

khewell

I have an 07 Ultra and the plastic on the inside top of the fairing and plastic running down the fork tubes is fading.
Any good fix for this?

I have the same issues as well as one of the flaps to the glove boxes on my lower fairings. (I got some S100 degreaser on them and it lightened it.)

I don't think there is a permanant fix other than painting them or replacing them, but I use "303 Aerospace Protectant". It is basically a UV blocker, it darkens plastic again until the next time I wash the bike.

I use pledge to for a quick wipe down/cleaning and then wipe everything down (painted surfaces, plastic and seats) with 303. You only have to use a tiny amount on painted surfaces if they are glossy, but the black plastic and seats are more forgiving with streaks since they are "flat".

I have used 303 on my bike since I bought it. I bought my bike "used" and the plastic was faded when I bought it. I plastic deck furniture and have wiped it down regularly. The furniture is outside all the time and it is 9 years old and still looks new, so that is why I am such a fan of 303.

Most plactics (and for that matter, most things) really take a beating from UV. Since they are hydrocarbon based, the chains start breaking down. Add some reflected and concentrated sunlight from your windshield and it is accelerated. Make a error with over-spray using a degreaser, like me and REALLY make it worse!

I have an 07 Ultra and the plastic on the inside top of the fairing and plastic running down the fork tubes is fading.
Any good fix for this?

A product I'm pleased with and use is "Forever Black". It's dye made for auto trim that came recommended from a car detailer buddy. A 4.0oz bottle will run about 8 or 9 bucks. I bought it online a couple of seasons ago for my Ultra and still have 3/4's left. I use it about twice a year. Details are here:
Forever Black products will beautify and protect tires, moldings, trim, and bumpers.

I've also been seeing the use of peanut butter on the car detailer websites. Apparently they are smearing it on and wipe it off. Seems pretty eco-friendly, and also temporary to me. It's probably the peanut oil that blackens the trim (I've also heard that baby oil will work, so peanut butter doesn't surprise me).

A product I'm pleased with and use is "Forever Black". It's dye made for auto trim that came recommended from a car detailer buddy. A 4.0oz bottle will run about 8 or 9 bucks. I bought it online a couple of seasons ago for my Ultra and still have 3/4's left. I use it about twice a year. Details are here:
Forever Black products will beautify and protect tires, moldings, trim, and bumpers.

I've also been seeing the use of peanut butter on the car detailer websites. Apparently they are smearing it on and wipe it off. Seems pretty eco-friendly, and also temporary to me. It's probably the peanut oil that blackens the trim (I've also heard that baby oil will work, so peanut butter doesn't surprise me).

Wow a peanut butter smelling car, now that's a dream come true :p

Any good fix for this?

I've had good results with Mothers "Back to Black" for flat/satin black finishes. It's avail. at most auto parts.

P.S. I don't understand "the plastic running down the fork tubes" ?? Waz that? The clear coat over the lower legs?

You might want to try "ICE" polish. It can be used on plastic, vinyl, leather, chrome and painted surfaces. It really does work well...
Ride Safe....

If they are too discolored, your gonna have to restore them. If they arent too bad and you get them back to black with a wipe on product, that is good. to keep them black all you have to do is regularly wipe them down with....... wait for it............. PLEDGE

Never tried this but I wonder how black shoe polish would work. The paste kind.

It would probably work for a short period of time, but shoe polish will wear off quickly b/c it doesn't harden (like paint, or plastic). I wouldn't recommend using - best to stick w/some of the other products members mentioned, or go w/smitty's recommendation & paint.

Back