free website stats program EZ-Up Center Stand | Harley Davidson Forums

EZ-Up Center Stand

hogcowboy

Installed an EZ-Up center stand in just 5 minutes today. I got an EG Ultra, you would think it would come standard with it.:small3d031:I was able to put the bike on the stand while seated on the second try. Should have done it on the first but I wimped out.:newsmile071:

Welcome to the forum, and letting us know how easy the EZ-up is to install. When I worked at a mcy. dealer, I learned that even a small person can get a big bike on the center stand with just a tiny bit of a backward roll.

I could hardly believe how easy it was. And I didn't even have installation instructions. I got it from someone that was going to lower there bike, so it would do them no good anymore. Installation is just that straight forward. A lot more stable than the jiffy stand. I just never trusted that thing.

Just be careful where you use your center stand. Only use it on flat hard surface such as concrete or asphalt, don't use it on a down hill slope and when you use it watch for cracks in the surface. I put my center stand down where there were cracks in the concrete and the right leg of the center stand got stuck in the crack when I was trying to take the bike off the stand, it ended up breaking the welds on the stand and I was stuck there until I could remove the stand because the stand was twisted and it would not go up. I use the jiffy stand 99.9% of the time, it is easier and safer.

Now that's strange. I find the jiffy stand not nearly as stable as the center stand. When I put the jiffy stand down and get off the bike, it always moves forward some. Even on an absolutely flat surface. Makes me real nervous. It seems like it would take nothing for it to go ahead and collapse. I don't remember my 85 glide doing that but it's been years since I had it. Could there be something not quite right with this jiffy stand?

They always move forward a bit and it can make you a bit nervous at first. However, once you get used to the fact that the stand locks...you can rest easy. Never have had a problem.

"They all do that". In this instance its true all the side stands roll forward a bit. It is very solid and strong. Nothing to be afraid of.

The side stand does lock so that the bike can not move forward and fold the stand once the weight of the bike is on it
However as old habits die hard so i leave the bike in gear on any slope and always face the bike uphill

Brian

Now that's strange. I find the jiffy stand not nearly as stable as the center stand. When I put the jiffy stand down and get off the bike, it always moves forward some. Even on an absolutely flat surface. Makes me real nervous. It seems like it would take nothing for it to go ahead and collapse. I don't remember my 85 glide doing that but it's been years since I had it. Could there be something not quite right with this jiffy stand?
Relax! I know exactly how you feel. I was told four years ago on this forum that "the jiffy stand is a work of art. Once you have the weight of the bike on it, it won't tip over" ( Smitty). I didn't believe that. The bike always seemed to move forward just a bit, just like you said, and it was enough to get me all nervous that she was going to fall over! :(. I didn't trust it. It still goes forward slightly but I have to say that I jack my bike up quite often. Either to wash & wax it, or put air in the tires, and I was always nervous that when I jacked her down all the way, she would tip over. One time the bike came down much harder than I expected it to because I accidentally turned the release lever too hard. Well, to my surprise it never tipped over! I thought for sure it would!
Most of the time I park with the bike in neutral and don't give it a second thought that she's gonna tip over while on the jiffy stand. If I am on a steep incline, then I'll put her in gear.

Well now that I have the center stand I'm able to work on things a lot better and can now see how the jiffy stand works. Ya'll are right, nothing to fear at all. I just couldn't see that before. I'm still glad I got the center stand cause now with a piece of plywood under the stand I can rotate the tires and check them and air them a whole lot easier. It's a good thing!:ap:ap:ap:cheers

Back