free website stats program EZ Pull Clutch is in but..... | Harley Davidson Forums

EZ Pull Clutch is in but.....

CatWoman

HELP!! :help

Well, I finally got my EZ Pull Clutch kit :D and low and behold, I had to remove the entire exaust - not a problem intially, since I had a bit of a leak. However, now I have :wall one new exhaust stud (ugh!!), everything in place, adjusted the clutch - wow, it feels GREAT!! Start her up...unable to shift into gear!! :small3d031: I tried ajusting the clutch again - no help. So, got to take it ALL off again :cry (right foot peg, [loosen the starter - tight fit] to remove the exhaust - hey, at least the stud is doing it's job). Checked everything --- all looks good -- put it all together!! BUT!!!! NO transmission action! :newsmile038:

Now, I have to be honest -- the exhaust was not fully put back in place, after all, I didn't really change anything.

I read the manual -- it says to "squeeze clutch lever to maximum limit, three times, to set ball and ramp relesase mechanism", I did that (like I said, the EZ Pull feels Great!), What can be wrong?!? :panic

When I rebuilt the top and bottom ends, I got a real good view of the clutch plates -- looked good, the clutch cables has lots of room to move.

Ugh, I'm stuck!! :(

CatWoman :newsmile038:

Can you give us a bit more info?

When it won't shift into gear... Is it grinding? Is the shifter not moving. Does it have away to much play? Can you shift into neutral? Have you tried shifting into neutral, or just shifting gears, with the bike not running.

Could you also explain "no transmission action" a bit more. What doesn't it do. Or what does it do?

You also say.. "When I rebuilt the top and bottom ends, I got a real good view of the clutch plates -- looked good." What do you means by this? Did you remove and inspect them? Did you have the primary, outer and inner, removed? Did you have the bike working normally before you installed the easy pull? i.e Trans went into gear and you were able to shift up and down thru the gears when riding?

Or is this the first time the bike has been re-assembled after a rebuild?

More infomation please.

Did you install the spacer on the clutch cable at the transmission end? Without the spacer it is impossible to adjust the clutch properly. You have to unscrew the cable from the transmission cover housing to install the spacer.

Sorry, I'll hopefully provide enough info this time -- since obviously you all can't read my mind :small3d029:
-- Good Thing, It's A Mess in There!! :newsmile055:​

The rebuild was about 4 months ago (cold seizure problem and small but growing :swoon leak in the crankcase) and she's been running without any problems -- other than every so often, she doesn't want to go up into third (can't locate the Spectro oil - HD Platinum 75W 140 locally and haven't gotten around to order - I still have Harley Primary/Transmission fluid in there). In rebuilding the bottom end, I took the whole engine out (primary apart too). I evaluated the clutch plates then, and they had considerable time left. Plus, I'm NOT :no one to ride the clutch. Back then, I didn't do anything to the Transmission and other than the 3rd gear problem (not a consistent problem getting it up into gear) it appeared to be doing fine.

Yes, I put the spacer in. :yes Everything went along just fine - I thought. I was able to shift into all the gears (some were a little tough) and into neutral. I actually started the bike (like it wasn't missing a beat). When I backed it out onto my driveway, I put it into what I thought was 1st (the shifting is as it always has been, except the clutch is much easier to pull) -- no movement when I opened the throttle. I tried 2nd, 3rd (tough to get into that one, 4th too), then 5th - still no action. I got her up the small hill of my driveway (huff, huff), waited for her to cool, :newsmile057: then tried adjusting the clutch again - still I can feel as though I'm shifting, I even get the audible clues -- but she no go!! :cry I took a look at the EZ pull (no easy feat) and all's fine there. :panic

It baffles me :wall , but I'm known to be slow sometimes. I'm suspecting the clutch is not engaging but with the Derby cover open (and following the easy method and the 'by the book' method) I can see the clutch plates moving. Observation, when I was taking off the right side Clutch Inspection Cover, the Push rod initially wanted to come along with the cover - it is loose but does not feel sloppy. Also, initially when adjusting the clutch, I was backing out the adjusting screw, the snap ring popped off. I put it back in and made sure it was well seated, no more concerns with it.

Any Ideas? -- The help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

CatWoman :newsmile038:

With the clutch lever all the way out and proper adjustment, the clutch pack should be totally compressed. Since it's not (no movement of bike in gear) I wonder if something has changed with the push rod. If the push rod is hung up it would disengage the clutch no matter where the lever. I would check and make sure the push rod can move freely and push out the clutch pack.

Another thought, I had to grind away some metal on the EZ pull arm to get it to clear the housing. If it hangs up, it may not be traveling all the way back and that could keep the clutch from fully engaging. You might look at that as well.

Ok...

It sounds like you can shift into gears but have no clutch action. You said you can see the plates moving...

Verify your clutch lever adjustments and that the cable has the correct play. If the clutch lever is in the correct position, you can rule out the EZ pull.

Did you install the plates in the correct order? Is the clutch spring installed correctly?

If the spring is not installed correctly, you basically will have no pressure on the plates when the clutch is let out.

I would go thru the clutch basket again to make sure the assembly is correct. I know it's not something you want to do, because it means taking the primary cover off. But at this point, that's what I would do.

I don't think it's your adjustment technique. I think it's somewhere in the clutches/clutch basket assembly.

Thank you, Softailhog and SledDog!!!!!!!

Ok...

It sounds like you can shift into gears but have no clutch action. You said you can see the plates moving...

Verify your clutch lever adjustments and that the cable has the correct play. If the clutch lever is in the correct position, you can rule out the EZ pull.

Did you install the plates in the correct order? Is the clutch spring installed correctly?

If the spring is not installed correctly, you basically will have no pressure on the plates when the clutch is let out.

I would go thru the clutch basket again to make sure the assembly is correct. I know it's not something you want to do, because it means taking the primary cover off. But at this point, that's what I would do.

I don't think it's your adjustment technique. I think it's somewhere in the clutches/clutch basket assembly.

I didn't take the clutch basket apart this go round and it has been working fine after putting it back together 4 months ago. The only parts I have worked with are the retaining nut and adjusting screw (and the snap ring, one time). Hopefully, I won't have to go through the cluch basket.

The EZ pull arm cleared the housing with no problems - I thought about this one too, but rechecked it when I took it apart.

I'm worried about the compressing of the clutch plates - the push rod did not appear to have any concerns (i.e. sloppy movement) it easily moved (in and out) in the mainshaft.

I'll go check the spring but it appeared to be flat. I'm suspecious the clutch pack is not totally compressing - which would be a clutch adjustment problem, right?

CatWoman Still :newsmile038:

You're right, the clutch isn't fully compressing to engage the transmission. I would think it would have to be adjustment or the movement of the push rod. I know after I installed my EZ kit, the adjustment was very different than before. I used Glider's "easy
method" and had to take up some slack (via the cable adjusters) before I could get the
lever to a point where I could "feel" the resistance. After I got there I just did the one and a quarter turn and locked it down.

I think the problem is in the adjustment somewhere too -- I used the easy method to get the adjustment right but I try it again -- and look at the cable too!

Thanks!! I'll let you know how it goes!

CatWoman

Remember, pulling the lever, the clutch system moves the rotor plates (the ones with fiction material) away from the stator plates (the metals one the stay stationary) and the motor is disengaged from the transmission.

So when the lever is at it's at rest postion (not pulled in) the clutch pack should be tight together. Plate against plate.

The clutch spring provides the pressure to keep them together. A mis-adjusted clutch will cause the clutches to slip or not engage, or not release.

Did you get the clutch basket seated completely on the transmission thru shaft? Is the primary chain aligned?

If the clutch lever is released, without the bike running and in gear, you should not able to push it. You will not be able to overcome the compression of the motor.

If you can push the bike, then it means the clutches in the pack are not making contact. For some reason the plates are slipping or not coming together. It could be the rod. But you can remove it. And with it removed, the clutch plates should be together. That would elimate the rod, cable, cable adjustment. All that would leave is the clutch basket, clutches and spring. It's some thing to try.

But the locking ring popping off makes me think you have a problem with the clutches or clutch spring.

I have adjusted a few EZ pulls and normally adjust the clutch with the EZ pull off the handle. I have used the easy method listed on the site and the factory manual. After I adjust the clutch I re-install the EZ pull.

Back