free website stats program Extra Quart Oil Change | Harley Davidson Forums

Extra Quart Oil Change

glider.

BOT Machine
Many on the forum have questioned if it is necessary or even a good thing to do the extra quart oil change when doing the service on the bike.

Some have replied that it is a waste of time or money to do the extra quart oil change and a regular oil change that drains most of the oil would be sufficient for your needs which I feel is not a good suggestion at all to make.

Considering that the non touring bikes hold approximately 3 quarts of oil, this leaves only TWO quarts being changed +- when you do a service or 2/3's of the oil being changed at a service.
Would you change the oil in your car that may hold 5 quarts and only drain out 3 quarts before refilling the engine? I think n NOT.

The Baggers hold approximately 4 quarts of oil +- and with a normal change you would be changing a bit less than 3 quarts of oil if we didn't count the oil in the passageways and filter.

Taking this to the next step, wear in an engine is not only determined by the riding style but also the engine oil and it's contaminants being acids and carbon buildup. The purpose of an oil change is to rid the engine of these contaminants and replace it with clean fresh oil that doesn't contain the contaminants that can cause wear or damage to an engine internally.

Carbon from the combustion process of an internal combustion engine acts like a fine sandpaper when it is in the oil and the oil filter really doesn't remove all particles that can cause damage or premature wear on the engine. If saving that extra quart of oil and a bit more time when doing a service isn't worth the $20K or so you spent on the bike, then do it the cheap and fast way and only do a quick service or not a service at all for that matter.
Just think of how much $$$ you could save if you didn't change the oil at all.

NOT draining all the oil including the oil in the internal oil passageways (that can be as much as 24 ounces on most engines) can contaminate the new oil that is being installed and cause it to be less effective in combating wear than if you removed all the oil from the engine before installing the new oil. It's a bit of common sense here!

I have used the extra quart oil change in all the bikes I've owned and the oil will stay cleaner longer when replacing ALL of the oil instead of only a portion of the oil. It assures that the best possible and cleanest lubrication is available to keep the engine in top shape.

Your bike....Your choice!

This is an option for doing this oil change...
..::Rogue Chopper::Welcome::..

Here's the procedure on a softail...
Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

There are ways to do it without this kit but they are a long drawn out write up.

Interesting when think about it .. I also like the fact they have a supplemental kit with me owning an Ultra and Sportster ..

It makes sense to me to change out all the old oil when it's so easy to do. Just remove the return line to the tank. It may not be needed but it makes me feel good when I see the quart of dirty oil come out threw the return.

Back