free website stats program Extra Large Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

Extra Large Sportster

Rocket J.

Harley004.jpg

Well, I'd rather call it an extra large Sportster than a Bagger.

Think Chopper might give me a percentage?

Wonder what else I can deep-six from this bike to make it lighter?

Funny, lighten an 800 lb bike with full livery...I guess the real question is "Why would you want to?..." you have all the best storage and payload you need for full on touring...if you want full tilt sport riding, why not get a second bike? Probably easier and cheaper ala Hobbit (only don't go thru six or seven before you find the Sporty you want) not that that is a bad way to go...where is that pesky Buell I left lying around at the HD dealer anyway?!!!

Ahhhhhhh, how soon we forget the fine traditions established by our returning World War veterans who bobbed their big bikes to make them into something they liked better than the standard ol' dresser.

I've owned Sportsters (cool bikes) and like my big twin better...mostly. I also like big cars. I'll take a Caddy Escalade any 'ol time, but don't try to get me into a station wagon or mini-van which with all that full livery of the dresser is pretty close to being the same. I'm not dirt poor but I guess I'm frugal enough to just go with the one bike and get it to where I like it most.

OK, so the name "Sportster" is already taken. Maybe then call it a "Bobber Glide" ummmmmmm "Bobster"? :)

Are you wanting to eliminate weight in order to go faster? If you are then just get-cha a real deal crotch rocket and be done with it. I've never understood the motive of trying to make anything fast out of a Harley! Hence get a metric crotch rocket and then REALLY go fast on two wheels. For speed, best bang for the buck. Do I own one? nope.:newsmile030:

What? You mean go to a "Metric"? Heaven forbid! Naaaaaaa, I'll stay with my Harley. Speed? Naaaaa, not so much that as just more wanting it more ummmmmm Spartan, leaner and meaner. OK, but I do need to keep the bags (although I dislike the term "Bagger) and the windshield is a keeper, too. Maybe a cool little tractor seat (solo seat) is in order and I can call it a done deal ;0 .

I'm with you Rocket J, if I had the bucks for any bike, I would start with a road king and chop away. Harley makes a nice cross over between a touring and a sporster, but it not the same. When I was 15 years old growing up in Detroit, I use to buy old Harleys basket cases or find them sitting around old farm houses for $50.00 or $100.00, strip everything off them they didn't to go down the road and maybe some 8'' over tubes, now that's what I'm talking about. I ruinned more classic motorcycles then I can rembember, sure was a lot fun:) Oh, and by the way, Nice Shirt!

What? You mean go to a "Metric"? Heaven forbid! Naaaaaaa, I'll stay with my Harley. Speed? Naaaaa, not so much that as just more wanting it more ummmmmm Spartan, leaner and meaner. OK, but I do need to keep the bags (although I dislike the term "Bagger) and the windshield is a keeper, too. Maybe a cool little tractor seat (solo seat) is in order and I can call it a done deal ;0 .

Rock...Gotcha...:D Tis the fun part of a Harley, making it the way you like it. Cannot do that with any other machine. Keep "hacking" away pal and eventully you will change, modify, alter your machine to your liking. :s

What year and model is your HD actually (originally)?

Chopper, If I lived in Iowa I'd sell my Electra Glide, buy a RK and we'd work on a bob job that would be the primo Harley in the entire U.S. of A. Thanks about the shirt. I've got a couple like that so I don't wear them out so fast.. Were the maker to come up with them in grey (OD green would be most cool, too) I'd buy at least a couple more.
OK, what kinda bike was it originally? I'll post a pic of it that should show all the modifications :) :
Harley001.jpg

It was a 2005 Electra Glide ummmmm Classic. OK, OK, it still is but I HAVE removed the tour suitcase thing from the back...ohhhh and removed those cheap spring loaded cam chain tensioners. I chopped the highway pegs too, but since I added them in the first place that probably doesn't count.

Are you wanting to eliminate weight in order to go faster? If you are then just get-cha a real deal crotch rocket and be done with it. I've never understood the motive of trying to make anything fast out of a Harley! Hence get a metric crotch rocket and then REALLY go fast on two wheels. For speed, best bang for the buck. Do I own one? nope.:newsmile030:

there is no getting around that fact. i'm still have mine (but i'm trying to sell it) 2003 GSXR 750 piped, mapped, and re-geared. i like getting as much as i can out of my Sportster and i doubt i'll ever go back to rockets, but i have no illusions about my Sporty ever being fast after riding that Gixxer, my definition of that word has changed. the digital speedo skips several numbers, when you get on it, and i've hit an indicated 180 (probably more like 165). there's nothing like them for speed

OP - you've got something really unique, there :)

Two reasons why Metrics are faster than most V-Twins...overall horsepower at higher RPM and mass centralization so they handle tight turns because shorter radius in the "wink of an eye".

VTwin though has them everywhere else...more torque at the ready and if high enough displacement advantage...may be able to at least eclipse the performance for short runs...look how competitive V-Twin Ducati was with double the displacement and allowed a slight weight advantage.

Cornering speed and torque allowed them to dominate for a few years. While there is a big difference between Ducati and HD the basic ideas that bred success works.

Last edited:
Back