free website stats program External Engine Oil Cooler | Harley Davidson Forums

External Engine Oil Cooler

dangerdan

I am a relatively new member and have spent alot of time going thru this site.

Awesome web site !!

Not sure if this should be posted on the oil or engine forum.

I have yet to see any information on external oil coolers to reduce engine temperature.
1) Is anyone using one.
2) What are the pros and cons.
3) Do they really work.
4) Any recommendations on make\model type.

TIA

Welcome to the forum Dan.

As for your questions...

Lots of people run oil coolers and they are beneficial in reducing the oil temps in the motor some 10*-20* depending on the type used and the number of rows of cooling tubes they have.

Jagg is one of the popular brands and as a matter of fact, I believe they make the HD coolers too.

http://www.jagg.com/jagg files/jagg pages/cooler.htm

I believe the only down side is the exposure to road debris and leaks at the connections that should be monitored periodically and tightened.
One other shortcoming is the adapter kit that goes under the filter, they have a tendency to turn when changing the filter if they are not installed properly. Some people will drill the adapter and the filter mount and install a few roll pins to prevent it's turning but care must be taken where you drill or you will have a gusher on your hands.

I am a relatively new member and have spent alot of time going thru this site.

Awesome web site !!

Not sure if this should be posted on the oil or engine forum.

I have yet to see any information on external oil coolers to reduce engine temperature.
1) Is anyone using one.
2) What are the pros and cons.
3) Do they really work.
4) Any recommendations on make\model type.

TIA

I can tell you that my scoot ran hot. I put in a HD oil cooler w/thermostat. The same places that I would be stuck in traffic and it would overheat (alternate cylinder firing etc.) This does not happen any longer. The engine runs much cooler. I have heard that it does NOT work when you are stopped. (air flow over the fins only when moving etc.) This device has made a world of difference. I have needed to pull over and let the bike sit 15 minutes or longer before I could ride it again. I have not had an incident when the bike has overheated since I added the oil cooler.

I must admit almost all of my riding is in south florida where it is hot all the time. I have heard folks say that they need to put a cover over the oil cooler in the winter...but not where I live.

Just do it :yes
It helped the stock motor, I don't think I could push this beast as hard as I do now [146hp] without it.

Attachments

• 9bc9c6.jpg
    9bc9c6.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 95
I have heard that it does NOT work when you are stopped. (air flow over the fins only when moving etc.) This device has made a world of difference. I have needed to pull over and let the bike sit 15 minutes or longer before I could ride it again. I have not had an incident when the bike has overheated since I added the oil cooler.

The coolers do indeed work in traffic in this respect. The convection of the cooler itself radiates the heat from it much the same as the radiators in your house if you have them. It doesn't work as well as when you are moving but it does work. It also causes a lower oil temp going into the traffic and cools faster after you get moving.

Hold your hand above the cooler once it's hot and see for yourself.

I saw a bike with 2 fans mounted on cooler. He had it rigged where they come on when rear brake was applied.Said he got them at computer shop.

That's a great idea, only problem is they are short lived. They are not made for an enviroment like on a bike. I have heard that while they are working, they do a decent job but they just don't last too long, especially if they get wet. Too bad Jagg or another oil cooler company doesn't perfect the idea, it would go over big.

Too bad Jagg or another oil cooler company doesn't perfect the idea, it would go over big.
I agree, and you wouldn't think it would be to hard, I have a ten year old water cooled Honda Shadow with 72000 miles on it,the fan still works great.

BTW so doe's everything else.

Back