free website stats program External Breather Mod | Harley Davidson Forums

External Breather Mod

--Bonez--

Ok guys I installed an Arlen Ness Stage 1 Air Cleaner and plus did the external breather mod... My question is, what can I safely use to stop up the 2 holes on the back plate.? A YouTuber used High temp Black ATV Gasket Cement and that's what I used and that crap melted out of the left side hole as I was on a long ride the other day...! Bike started popping badly on decel and even stalled out on me as I was turning onto another street.! I knew it had to have something to do with the breather and sure enough, as soon as I took the breather off I saw it lol... So whats good to safely stop those holes up with.?

Can you use rubber vacuum caps for a carburetor?
Be honest I don't know.? Its gotta be something that won't melt or get sucked into the intake/cylinder heads... I thought about a little JB weld but then you risk it not bonding with the metal....

Use a bolt with two washers ,and o-rings or copper washers. Mount bolt from inside out, and secure nut on outside , to avoid , bolt is sucked in the intake , when it,s gets loose. ( Locknut / Safety wire?)
In my case I used a chisel , on the thread , so the nut cannot get off the bolt . I merged two windings of the thread so to speak !.
regards !.

Use a bolt with two washers ,and o-rings or copper washers. Mount bolt from inside out, and secure nut on outside , to avoid , bolt is sucked in the intake , when it,s gets loose. ( Locknut / Safety wire?)
In my case I used a chisel , on the thread , so the nut cannot get off the bolt . I merged two windings of the thread so to speak !.
regards !.
Hum.? I'm trying to picture this in my mind but im not getting it lol its not you buddy its me... There's a guy on YouTube that I just viewed and he somehow installed a set screw in the holes but didn't show how he did it unfortunately plus he said it was a "self screwing" hex head style... I suppose he ment a self tapping set screw but I've been all over the internet looking for a self tapping set screw and found none.! Lol... Geez.!

Red RTV is high temp. I'm not familiar with the A.N. backing plate, but on my Screamin Eagle I put the RTV in the holes where the bolts go into the heads. That passage is larger and the RTV can't get sucked into the intake.

I took a look at a pic of the plate, I thinks it,s possible to cut a thread in the hole ,and plug it with a bolt, using the strongest loctite.
Thought that was the issue.arness.png

1/8" NPT and brass pipe plug. The plug is tapered and will not come out. I have used this on the early backing plates and it might work on the one in the pick dependng on the diameter of the toe holes the OP wants to plug.

I took a look at a pic of the plate, I thinks it,s possible to cut a thread in the hole ,and plug it with a bolt, using the strongest loctite.
Thought that was the issue.View attachment 19477
Thats exactly what I did... I got to set screws and then cut threads in the 2 holes and then used red lock tite... So far so good but its still in my mind what if they get sucked in the intake lol but believe me they are really tight

Back